Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Post pictures of your EJ swap

The Scooby

The first setup for intake I had on the Brumby

ej22swap_enginebay_14-4-07.jpg

ej22swap_intake_setup.jpg

I don't have a picture of the setup it had when I sold it, but it was basically the same pod filter and MAF coming straight out of the TB using a straight rubber pipe. The reason I done this is I went in some deep water that came above the battery and my pod filter got wet. Luckily my engine was ok.

I used the stock ej airbox. I drilled a hole is the side of the fender wall for the mounting nub on the side of the box and chopped a little off the bottom edge of the box and lost the snorkel that lives in the ej fender. Here are some pics.

P1010212.jpg?t=1232253516

P1010213.jpg?t=1232253502

Good luck on the swap! You're going to love it!

Daniel

maybe someday I'll learn how to resize pics. Sorry they're so big.

My wagon's EJ ECU is in the same spot as the stock one - under the steering column. It's zip tied on until I make a way to bolt it to the column as the stock one was.

I think I'll probably get another Legacy harness and re-do the wiring swap so I can do a neater job under the dash and at the engine bay inlet.

Edited by baccaruda

I To Am Afraid of the Wiring. mostly afraid of the Dash.

on how to take it apart from legacy.

i was told you don't have to take the loyal dash out in order to do the wiring.

is this true ?

I Look Forward to doing this swap. just wish i had a loyal thats in better shape.

Correct. I took my dash out so I could R&R the heater but it was back in before I put in the wiring.

It would be easier to do the best, cleanest job if you did take out the dash, though.

You do need to pull the dash cluster and its surround to graft in the wires for the ECU light and gauges but that's easy stuff...

If I had to do it over again I would put mine down on the floorboard like the WRX has it on the passenger side foot board. Mine is currently IN the glovebox along with the IGN relay, FP relay and the ignitor if I remember correctly. I also put the memory and D-Check connectors here as well.

Don't put it in the spare tire area... I did it once and it looked really bad. No where to hide the "mess". +1 on wiring not being too bad on the early EJs... maybe three pages of diagrams. OBD 2 is not too much worse, here's my harness ready for install into the EJ25 Rx. Only three power wires and a few grounds to hook up.

100_1105.jpg

The EZ30 harness was a pig though ten pages.... that one took me a while.

100_2554.jpg

ok quick question on the fuel system. my wagon is a 86 carbed, im swapping in the SPFI pump, the feed to the engine will work fine, but the inlet into the pumpis majorly different sizes.

waht i did on the return line was get 2 pipe fittings, 1 was 1/4 male, then a 1/4inch double female, then a 5/16th's end so i can hook up at teh EJ intake and hook to the factory return line.

should i just do the same, 3/8th's to a coupler to a 5/16th's adapter for the inlet into the fuel pump from the tank?

also these are the brass fittings i found at a local auto parts store, should be fine right?

hmmm...the ford pump plugged right into lines on the '86. all I had to do was throw a couple real screw-on clamps on there. might have been a fluke with the ford pump though.

that pump came with all brass fittings, so I'd assume they're safe to run fuel through :)