Ultimate Subaru Message Board

So I just had a starter issue in which the lower bracket broke. Turns out that there was no upper stud mount for the starter, and the lower bracket broke due to the fact that it was the only thing holding the starter on!

I replaced the starter and re attached using the one lower mounting nut. It works, (heck the last one worked for years with only one stud), but I would feel better if I could give it a little more support. From the looks of things, replacing a stud would be a real in depth job. Do you think a tap and die would help to add a mounting bolt. Would it be feasible? I think the top nut was 14 mm, but I do not know the diameter of the stud hole for sure.

For the record, it is a 96 OBW with a 98 2.2L, tranny and diff from a 97 impreza (a real frankenstein's monster) with 210k on the chassis, ~140-150k on the drive train.

Any thoughts, advice, sympathies...

Thanks

John E

yeah the bellhousing pattern changed in 98, but they still interchange with the issue you're encountering.

im' not sure about this bracket you speak of. personally i'd just try and make the best with the one bolt, but i understand your concern if it didn't work out so well last time!

a drill and tap should work, i thikn it's been done before. but do'nt trust my memory on this!

Bracket may not be the best word. The starter housing broke right where the hole for the stud is on the lower side. I am sure the repeated torquing from the starter pushing into the motor fatigued the metal and caused it to break.

John E

I have replaced starters on 2.2 and 2.5 motors without giving it much thought. I seem to remember two bolt connections, maybe one of which is a tapped hole.

You say starter housing, is that really an "ear" that sticks out that is tapped for the bolt? Has the ear broken off completely? Is there anything remaining to thread a bolt into?

I have had success using JB Weld to reattach parts like an ear, or to use some JB weld in the hole where you want threads. Let the JB weld set up a bit, then apply vasoline to the threads of the bolt. Gently thread the bolt through the JB to create threads, then unthread and remove. Let the JB fully cure, and the newly created thread can hold quite well, when the bolt is replaced. Just don't super tighten down. It does require a warm environment of prolly 70 degrees to get JB to work, but it will do a good job with some time and patience.

I have already taken the old starter back to NAPA for the core. It was totally broken, the starter was hanging by the wires when I opened the hood.

If it is a bolt rather than a stud and nut, that would be nice. I would just need the size of the bolt, thread size, etc. U-pull salvage yards are few and far between out here in MA, otherwise I would just go pick one up, or at least check it out.

John E

The hole in the trans housing is the perfect size for a helicoil. Just tap it for a helicoil and you can use a bolt for the bottom as well. I've done this a couple of times.

You can do it with the engine and trans installed as you have good access from the bottom of the car.

I used the same thread pattern as the engine/trans mount bolts.

i believe the top hole on the starter is for the bellhousing bolt that connects to the engine. the bottom/lower is a stud from the trans.

here is a pic of a manual tranny setup. chances are the bolt may have worked its way loose and fell out.

post-238-136027630444_thumb.jpg

Edited by svxpert

...chances are the bolt may have worked its way loose and fell out.

This is what I was thinking. You mention using a drill and tap, is something broken off in the other mounting hole or is it just missing the bolt/stud? If it's missing, then just get another one, I'm sure someone on here knows the thread pitch and diameter, then you can order one from mcmaster.com

If it's broken off you could try to drill with the appropriate tap drill size of the existing threads, pick out whatever you can with a dental pick type tool, then chase the threads with the appropriate tap.

Good Luck!

Will-

I replaced the starter and re attached using the one lower mounting nut. It works, (heck the last one worked for years with only one stud), but I would feel better if I could give it a little more support. From the looks of things, replacing a stud would be a real in depth job. Do you think a tap and die would help to add a mounting bolt. Would it be feasible? I think the top nut was 14 mm, but I do not know the diameter of the stud hole for sure.

The top ear of the starter is held by one of the bolts that holds the engine and transmission toghether. So yes, you really should replace that bolt.

There is not supposed to be a stud there. It is a bolt. The bolt should also go through a bracket that has the main NEG battery cable attached to it.

The bolt size is an M10x1.25, about 80-100mm long.

The hole in the trans bell has no threads, the threads are in the bell of the engine, so you can't see them when you are looking at the hole with the starter out. It may be a good idea to run the bolt in and check that the threads are OK before mounting the starter, but they are likely fine.