Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What color is my 86 GL?

1986 GL EA82. It's a metallic gray color of some sort. Here is the VIN: JF2AN53B5GE478543

Is there a place on the car that has the color code? It was super easy to find on my 90 Legacy. I'd like to get a Duplicolor type touch up paint pen or something similar if it's out there. Someone keyed the driver side fender/door before I bought the car and I'd like to see what I can do with some touch-up the paint.

links to pics of my car:

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/-HUYQjDleHe2kGCBNbFhUg?authkey=-niJ-OTGFUI&feat=directlink

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/qCWVxz2knGaGhCdQ8ms8mg?authkey=-niJ-OTGFUI&feat=directlink

Edited by bobs97c5

It might also be on the drivers side strut tower -- I seem to remember that's where it was on my GL. And... the little sticker might have come off. A decent automotive paint shop should have a catalog of all the 1986 subaru colors, that you can match a chip to. However, the Sherwin Williams automotive paint shop here has been carrying fewer and fewer of the older car colors (I wanted to get some green from a 1973 ford truck, and they had the old book with the color in it... but could no longer actually make that color because the necessary ingredients were no longer made).

It might also be on the drivers side strut tower -- I seem to remember that's where it was on my GL. And... the little sticker might have come off. A decent automotive paint shop should have a catalog of all the 1986 subaru colors, that you can match a chip to. However, the Sherwin Williams automotive paint shop here has been carrying fewer and fewer of the older car colors (I wanted to get some green from a 1973 ford truck, and they had the old book with the color in it... but could no longer actually make that color because the necessary ingredients were no longer made).

+1 should be on the left strut tower inside the engine bay. yes 3 diget number.

Thats a nice grey too!

-Tom

Okay, I've looked and looked and my guess is that the sticker with the paint code must have been removed over the years. Is there any other way to get the paint code with the VIN #? They had to have put the paint code somewhere else other than just one sticker on either the driver's side strut tower or radiator support. Does anyone else have a GL this color that can help out? Thanks!

Bobby

I have a place down the street Levine Automotive..that will mix the paint on premises..and does it just from the 3 digit code. They can mix it in both rattle can or pint/quart etc. Its alittle expensive..to me ( $25 a can)...But I got a rattle can for my coupe in Cosmic Blue..Matches perfectly ..except where its sun faded from 26 years.

Anyway I can help you get some if you want.