Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I have posted this on electrical gremlins but that thread is to long so I am going to post a new one for just this problem. I had alot of work performed to get my car home and that included diagnosing why my speedo did not work. The tech said that the speedo was malfunctioning. They did not have the speedo at the dealer so I ordered one from my local dealer. I installed it today and took it out of the driveway for a test drive, but the speedo does not work:mad:.....Any suggestions would be helpful, I have spent over $1200 just this week on this car. Please Help

Sorry forgot. I am very upset right now. It is a 98 OBW 2.5 155,000 miles. The tech traced the problem to the speedometer so that is what he told me to order and replace part # 85020AC290. Manual, transmission Check engine was on before I replaced it, I did not drive it long enough to throw the CEL this time due to I disconnected battery before I pulled the cluster.

Edited by crash321

98 spedos rarely go bad. 1999-2000-2001 are suspect.

You have two VSS sesnors if its an automatic, one if its a manual. I would suspect the VSS sensors first before a spedo, they are easy enough for a tech to test.

Was this a sooby tech?

98 spedos rarely go bad. 1999-2000-2001 are suspect.

You have two VSS sesnors if its an automatic, one if its a manual. I would suspect the VSS sensors first before a spedo, they are easy enough for a tech to test.

Was this a sooby tech?

Yes he was a subaru tech. He was the one who said that the VSS was sending pulses but the speedo was not processing it and therefore not working and not sending it on to the ECM

Yes he was a subaru tech. He was the one who said that the VSS was sending pulses but the speedo was not processing it and therefore not working and not sending it on to the ECM

And there is a bunch of wire and a few connectors between the two. Take it back and tell him he didnt fix it and your not paying for anymore work since there was nothing wrong with the first spedo. This is an easy thing to diagnose, so i dont know what the problem is.

nipper

And there is a bunch of wire and a few connectors between the two. Take it back and tell him he didnt fix it and your not paying for anymore work since there was nothing wrong with the first spedo. This is an easy thing to diagnose, so i dont know what the problem is.

nipper

one problem the dealer that diagnosed it is in another state 5 hours away..... the only reason I took it in there was because the car broke down and only ran on a couple cylinders.....the tech said that the car would drive five hours back to the house, so i wonder if the VSS fried on the way home without the speedometer working?

one problem the dealer that diagnosed it is in another state 5 hours away..... the only reason I took it in there was because the car broke down and only ran on a couple cylinders.....the tech said that the car would drive five hours back to the house, so i wonder if the VSS fried on the way home without the speedometer working?

no. It just sends a signal, its not a user of energy. Its a magent that has a toothed gear that goes by it and makes an AC pulse.

His contention that the signal "wasn't making it from the speedometer to the ECU" is BS

The 2 devices, Speedometer and ECU, recieve a parallel signal from that sensor. If the Speedo doesn't display, the ECU still knows how fast the car is going as each unit processes the signal seperately.

I have learned in the past that a defective speedo head will not throw a CEL or Trans code (4eat).

BUT a defective VSS will deprive the ECU of it's speed signal, and trigger the CEL and trans codes.

Tell them to replace the Front VSS

His contention that the signal "wasn't making it from the speedometer to the ECU" is BS

The 2 devices, Speedometer and ECU, recieve a parallel signal from that sensor. If the Speedo doesn't display, the ECU still knows how fast the car is going as each unit processes the signal seperately.

I have learned in the past that a defective speedo head will not throw a CEL or Trans code (4eat).

BUT a defective VSS will deprive the ECU of it's speed signal, and trigger the CEL and trans codes.

Tell them to replace the Front VSS

I had it towed to the dealer in Bay City MI. they won't be able to get to it till next week:-\ but they did get it into the shop and scanned the ecu and got a code for engine speed sensor?????????? I never knew there was such an animal..........We will see what happens and I will report back. By the way, I did suggest to both dealers that I felt it was the VSS after looking at the wiring diagram.

but they did get it into the shop and scanned the ecu and got a code for engine speed sensor?????????? I never knew there was such an animal.

That's because there isn't such a thing. The engine doesn't have a *speed* it has *revolutions per minute* or RPM which of course we all know is the Tachometer. If you're tachometer is working, then this isn't the problem.

Most likely they miscommunicated that it was an ENGINE code for a Speed sensor (as opposed to the same code being thrown by the Trans computer, auto only)

Again, have them replace the VSS.

I had it towed to the dealer in Bay City MI. they won't be able to get to it till next week:-\ but they did get it into the shop and scanned the ecu and got a code for engine speed sensor?????????? I never knew there was such an animal..........We will see what happens and I will report back. By the way, I did suggest to both dealers that I felt it was the VSS after looking at the wiring diagram.

When you don't know alot about cars, just describe the symptons, not what you thik it is. Wait for them to diagnose it then you can discuss what you think it is.

Otherwise they will focus on what you said.

nipper

When you don't know alot about cars, just describe the symptons, not what you thik it is. Wait for them to diagnose it then you can discuss what you think it is.

Otherwise they will focus on what you said.

nipper

You don't need to be condisending about it nipper. My gut said VSS in the beginning. But being that I have had schooling in driveabilty and have been a tech myself for a time doesn't mean I know nothing about cars. I just know more about GM than subaru and that fact I have little in the way of diagnostic charts and schematics doesn't mean that I am an idiot. I have a relationship with my local subaru dealer due to the fact that they deal in other makes (previously owned mazdas, vws) and they know what I am saying when I communicate with them.Its not the tech that I was talking to, it was the service writer, and they tend to try to oversimplify things to the customer. There is rapid turnover in the service writing staff so They are not familar with me nor I with them. So saying that they themselves are so closed minded not to look beyond what I am saying would be putting very little faith in myself as well as them. Just sayin. I posted this so that I could get some info that may help me into finding what may be wrong with the car, not to be lambasted on the board.

Edited by crash321

You don't need to be condisending about it nipper. My gut said VSS in the beginning. But being that I have had schooling in driveabilty and have been a tech myself for a time doesn't mean I know nothing about cars. I just know more about GM than subaru and that fact I have little in the way of diagnostic charts and schematics doesn't mean that I am an idiot. I have a relationship with my local subaru dealer due to the fact that they deal in other makes (previously owned mazdas, vws) and they know what I am saying when I communicate with them.Its not the tech that I was talking to, it was the service writer, and they tend to try to oversimplify things to the customer. There is rapid turnover in the service writing staff so They are not familar with me nor I with them. So saying that they themselves are so closed minded not to look beyond what I am saying would be putting very little faith in myself as well as them. Just sayin. I posted this so that I could get some info that may help me into finding what may be wrong with the car, not to be lambasted on the board.

i was not being condsending just statint a common error. Remeber that this is a one dimensional caht, so you can not tell inflection or read tone of comments. Don't assume that i was trying to be.

I am a tech too and i do not tell people what i think is wrong with my car because it can steer them wrong. It has happened ion the past to me personally. Its human nature.

I did not think i was lambasting you, and if thats how you took it, well i am sorry. i will make it much easiuer for you and just unsubscribe from this thread.

Good luck.

nipper

i was not being condsending just statint a common error. Remeber that this is a one dimensional caht, so you can not tell inflection or read tone of comments. Don't assume that i was trying to be.

I am a tech too and i do not tell people what i think is wrong with my car because it can steer them wrong. It has happened ion the past to me personally. Its human nature.

I did not think i was lambasting you, and if thats how you took it, well i am sorry. i will make it much easiuer for you and just unsubscribe from this thread.

Good luck.

nipper

Thanks for your input nipper. No hard feelings:)

well i am sorry. i will make it much easiuer for you and just unsubscribe from this thread. Good luck.

Nipper: We need you! By all means leave this thread alone. But I, for one, appreciate your input.

In fact, when I see your comments on a thread, I take note and learn from them.

I look forward to your input on other threads!

Just to update, the dealer called me a couple days ago, (I am on the road agian....Cedar Rapids IA currently) and told me they found the problem for the car speedo not working and why the car stalls out when coming to a stop. First off thanks for all the feedback I appreciate it alot. I have been under a lot of stress over this because I have not been making any money and these repairs are just killing me. So to Nipper, I apologize over being so sensitive over your comment. I look forward to your answers for people because I see you as a very knowledgable guy. I was told that the VSS was bad and had to be replaced. That is why the speedo was not working, although they said that the actual speedo could have been malfunctioning too and that could be the reason the tech over at the Indiana dealer said the speedo was malfunctioning. Who knows with all the mouse damage. The problem with the stalling issue was a bad Idle air control circuit motor. All in all, the fix will cost $764. That will be a few dollars short of $2000:-\ for this whole mess. I will be able to pick up the car this Satuarday as the parts won't be in until late thursday and I won't be home until late friday. I had to break out the "Sunday truck" which hadn't been started for three months to make my 5 hour cummute to work. 14.5 MPG wasn't to bad for a four wheel drive Z-71 in 1-2 degree F weather:lol: At least the car should last a while though as long as I keep the damn mice out from underneath the hood making it their buffet:grin: Thanks to all!