Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Want opinions, what did I mess up this time

Well, The Beast may be down for more than a little while now.

Yesterday I noticed an abnormally large puddle of oil under my car, as well as oil dripping from my skidplate. So, I opened the hood, and low and behold, oil on everything. Now this aint the first time Ive oiled up my engine bay Really good, but this time it wasnt because of me leaving the oil cap off :rolleyes:

So I looked around, and it looks like the source of the oil is the front of the engine, but i can not distinguish whether its coming from the front main seal, the oil pump, or somewhere else :confused:

On a side note, although this engine always ran great (as long as i kept up the high-maintainence parts) it always seemed to vibrate more than my other motors did. (this is the 4th motor in this car) It had this strange vibration when it was in the car I pulled it from as well, so I didnt think much of it. All my other motors ran a little smoother. Im wondering if I dont have something way out of balance on the rotating assembly, or even a bent crank :eek:

Either way, its time for an overhaul, I need to replace all 4 axles now (drivers side let loose a couple days ago :mad:), the passenger side wheel bearings and possibly rotor, all the rear wheel bearings, and replace my modified sub frame assembly with a beefed up stocker and install one of my kits on it, as well as a 4.444 5 speed D/R Im workin on, and rebuild the motor with a little more Umpff.

Right now Im just curious as to what yall think might be my oil leaking problem? Thanks for lookin! Oh, and the vehicle in question, my 87 GL wagon, EA81 swapped w/Weber carb + various other modifications :grin:

11-29-08_1305.jpg

-Bill

DON'T BYPASS THE CUSS FILTER

Edited by Zap

I'm betting on the front main. I had one go out on an EA81 a few years ago and in literally a half a mile, I had a huge smoke show coming from under the hood and oil squirtin out onto the windshield.

Towed it home, found the oil had soaked the alternator so I ripped the engine out, stuff the original hydro engine back in with some new parts, and had it running in a total or 2 1/2 hours. 45 minutes of that was doing a rear disc conversion on it too:grin:

I had a 1984 wagon that developed bad oil leak up front -- it was something to do with the oil pump. I sold it for $100, and the new owner put a new oil pump in. Saw it about 2 years later, driving up the canyon in front of me -- so that must have fixed it (or, the next owner put a new engine in :rolleyes: )

I had a fun one this year. I pulled the engine out of Murphy, the $500 87 Turbo Wag, to replace the leaky valve cover gaskets and reseal the cam towers. When I put the engine back together, I noticed i was leaking all sorts of oil from the front somewhere. Turns out I only put one of the screws in that held the oil fill tube in place. Oops.

I had a ....oil pump. I sold it for $100, and the new owner put a new oil pump in. Saw it about 2 years later, driving up the canyon in front of me

That's what I love about these cars... kids with time/sweat and a bit of money can make cheap running transportation! I bump into the first owners of my Brat once in awhile and they still can't believe it is still running! Just smile and wave boys... just smile and wave....

"The Beast" is so you Bill......

Edited by Indrid cold

I LOVE Beast...its in my book of Favorite lifted rigs. ( In Fact..Beast is making the cut for my personal Calander I am working on ( just for me hehehehe Hope you dont mind) of my Favorite Subarus.

You now...it does sound alot like the crank..my 81 Toyota SR5 ( was a rare longbed model too) did the same thing..turned out it chewed the end of the crank away to where you couldnt just replace the seal..needed a whole new crank...Not a good thing to happen on the highway at 70 mph..400 miles from home.:rolleyes: I ended up giving the truck to the garage ...they put a new motor in it and still use it as a parts truck.

I am voting for an out of balance crank..eating up the front main...would kinda explain the vibration too.

Zap, Sorry about that, will keep that in mind next time :o

Thanks for the replies, I wont really know what happened for quite a while now, got to get my latest wagon running so I have a driver besides the RX from hell.

I hope its not the crank, but it does seem like it could be. I know its not bcause Im using an EA82 flywheel that it vibrates, as I stated it was doing that before even when it was in my Hatch with the stock setup.

Honestly i am afraid of takin the motor apart because I have never gotten an EA81 oil pump off the motor without breaking it :banghead:, although I never overheated this one so It shouldnt be siezed on like the others.

Connie, I Want one of those calenders!!! My car is an attention whore, it loves pictures, thats why it gets mad at me when I ignore it for too long, or when i work on other cars.

I prolly wont get around to fixing this motor till later in the summer/fall, depending on funds/time, but if i find another motor for cheap you can bet its goin in. I dont want to throw away this motor if I dont have to, its a hydro lifter motor and it runs so good. Of course, this is me, I dont throw away much if anything :grin:

-Bill

You now...it does sound alot like the crank..my 81 Toyota SR5 ( was a rare longbed model too)

Off topic hijack... I have one of those. With the diesel engine. No rust, major dents, or even oxidized paint. Looks great. Unfortuneatly, the engine burns as much oil as fuel, and I don't have a title for it... :(

Now, back to the regularly scheduled programming...

No, this engine came from the Hatch I got from AC Bush a little while back, I dont think its the original motor for the hatch though, that car was beat. The motor I got from you blew a head gasket and has a light tick of death, and is currently residing beneath a tarp on a pallet waiting to be rebuilt.

To comment on the Hijack, I didnt know the Toyota deisels were available here? Sounds interesting.... :banana:

-Bill

No, this engine came from the Hatch I got from AC Bush a little while back, I dont think its the original motor for the hatch though, that car was beat. The motor I got from you blew a head gasket and has a light tick of death, and is currently residing beneath a tarp on a pallet waiting to be rebuilt.

To comment on the Hijack, I didnt know the Toyota deisels were available here? Sounds interesting.... :banana:

-Bill

To comment on the comment on the hijack, toyota diesels were available in the 2WD Toyota pick ups. A friend of mine built a 4WD. He took the diesel out of the 2WD and put it in a 4WD and then had to do something with the oil pan to make it fit right. It had a hand throttle so you could literally get out and walk beside it up hill. And the low end torque was insane! He had a plow on it and in 4HI it would sit against a snow bank and very slowly...at idle....spin all the tires! It was awesome!

Wow, thats crazy! I kinda want one now, but just a regular 'ol '85 4wd Toyota is hard enough to get a good deal on out here, all the off roaders horde them like gold. I think Ill just stick with subes :banana:

-Bill

Yeah the old 80's ones are getting harder and harder to find, and then when you find one in good shape(not rusted out) they are asking a lot for them! But it was sweet! He had the solid front axle in it too.

Bill check the front dampner and main seal. My 84 wagon had almost the exact symptoms as yours. It vibrated even when I first got it then all of a sudden started blowing oil from the front of the engine. Turned out that the dampner was cracked and ate the front seal.

Good luck

Bill