Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Trying Again.. New Motor In LB the Coupe

Here we go again!! Today is the day...we will be trying to get another motor into my coupe and running..since the original one turned into a disaster on my part. But..I have a question..been getting conflicting stories on this...Since the flywheel bolts go the whole way into the motor..should I or shouldnt I put some RTV on them to keep them from leaking??? We believe that was some of the problem with the oil soaked clutch on my last try..seepage through the bolts along with a leaking rear main. I am still very thankful to BratsRus for the donation of the new flywheel and clutch disk ( OMG the flywheel is sooo pretty I want to hang it on the wall!).

njdrsubaru will be here around 8 and backwoodsboy and darlingchip and BUCKY!!!!! will be here around 11..same with hatchsub. I have the chicken and dumplins in the slow cooker..have to bribe the gang with food ..hehehe.

Did I mention BUCKY is coming!!:banana::banana::banana::banana: I still love that car..and he is behaving very well for backwoodsboy and family... was told he has been the only 100% dependable car they have. Going to have to have a bonding moment with him...miss the old buckster thats for sure.

Anyway..updates and pics of our antics to follow..

flywheel bolts go the whole way into the motor..should I or shouldnt I put some RTV on them

I know on the EA71 the flywheel bolts to the crankshaft end which is a seperate disk w/timing gear and the bolt holes do show as going though and appearing over the teeth of the gear. So,I'd say YES cautiously. Gotta think the EA81 is the same w/timing gear.

Good luck. Boun appetito !

I don't think that you need to RTV the bolts. Usually the rear main seal is the culprit when you get oil leaking onto the clutch. I would put some threadlocker on the bolt threads before installing them. That should keep any fluids from leaking past the bolt threads. I hope that this helps and I'm glad to hear that you are going to have a little reunion with Bucky. You guys don't have too much fun, ok? Just kidding! Enjoy!!!:banana:

Patrick

OK..new motor is running...its nice and quiet too!! Running really nice...still needs some fine tuning to the it..timing and some carb tuning..But otherwise..runs nicer then the original did even before it blew its top. Thanks subaru360!!!!!! Nothing is leaking ..so far.

We had the usual great time...crazy antics..no major injuries.. And here are a couple pics..will upload some of the videos and stuff later.

2ndCoupemotor013.jpg

The usual Neo and me fight:

2ndCoupemotor014.jpg

Here LB is out of the garage and running...moving on his own power!!!!

2ndcoupemotor043.jpg

More tomorrow

keep us updated. Hey connie, is that rust up under the front hoop lip? I see a pic with hood wide open, swear it looks like something needing attention later. Glad yours is running (my Brat needs clutch still), so yours is running more than mine recently. keep you eye on things, and such, hope this one will last many years.

Its a good feeling when you can go out and enjoy a drive in a machine from the early 80's, and know most of the work to keep it going can be done out of house garage. yay.

I am happy thats for sure...and Thanks again to the gang for helping get it back to being mobile. Great time has been had once again. Great bunch of crazies I hang with. They also repacked on of Steves ( hatchsubs) wheel bearings on his GORGEOUS sedan.

We still have to work on the wiring for the analog dash...I keep hoping for a good digi dash since I have the charging sytem at 110% now but ..welll. Do some fine tuning of the motor and then I will work on the minor minor rust spots ( yes it does have a coupe that were there before the car came east). I was hoping for it spending the winter at a body shop but the delay with the motor going bad and lack of funds is going to keep that from happening. Luckily..this car lives in the garage so I dont have to worry much about new rust or the current from getting out of control.

Thinking on finding someone who can refinsh the rims since there is some peal and fade to them.

I really wanted to take it for a spin around the block yesterday..really I did...but there is salt down..and even though its dry...NO dont want any on the car.

I will post more pics and vids later ..and on a side note,,the motor mount bolt notes are there because when pulling the old motor out..we discovered there werent any holding it in...hehehel

As for the old motor..John ( backwoodboy) took it with him..he is using the cam for something..hehehe

Actually Connie, John and i popped the dust cap off the rear wheel to repack the bearings, but then saw that the grease was nice and clean and a good amount of it so why bother messing with perfection lol. We slapped it back together without ever getting into it.

Glad LB is up and running. Had a good time with everyone as usual. That EA81 sounds as good if not better than mine.

I noticed that the wheel bearing grease was still a virgin :grin: .. LB was really hard to get started this morning ..and had to let him warm up a good 10-15 minutes till he would idle on his own...raised the idle on the carb and advanced the timing some....Needed to get him out of the garage and pull Neos Lego in to swap a coolant temp sensor.

That EA81 does sound really good and quiet..going to be nice once we redo the exhaust.I REALLY want to take the coupe for a spin....clutch feels nice and grabby..yay:banana:

Wow youv'e got an awesome lineup of Soobies going! I can't wait to see LB in action in all his EA81 perfection. So, when are you gonna lift the Lego? :grin:

Thank You! The Lego will be getting some other work done on it before the lift.. But here is a group shot of my kids I took this morning

All3001.jpg

Never really noticed how small LB is compaired to the girls... he looks like a midget car

Edited by Bucky92