Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hello all. I have a used 2002 OBW with 125,000 purchased 2 months ago from Subaru dealer.

Noticed a slight ticking, had shop look it over, wrench said all is well must be piston slap.

Over the last month colder weather has set in.

now in the mornings very loud knocking and gets better at warm up. but not gone completely.

Today I took her down to the pan to try and check for wrist pin and bearing slack.

can't find any slack but did notice the bores were scored up somewhat. I really don't want to tear her down for a rebuild already. Dealer changed the oil at purchase. I have seen on this post that thinner oil may help... any ideas? Is she headed for failure?

Thanks, XLR8R

Sounds like piston slap to me, i'd just keep driving it.

I doubt the cylinder walls are scored. Maybe you just saw the factory cross hatching that nearly all subaru engines have, even after 200,000 miles? might have just been hard to get a good bead and see in there?

I think you'll be okay.

Subaru has updated pistons if you really want to get into swapping pistons to get rid of the slap.

on the older engines you can replace the pistons without splitting the block open, not sure if that's true of EJ engines.

It could be the tensioner slapping against the bracket that holds it. Check for a shiny line across the hydraulic pin that pushes against the tensioner bracket with an oily rust colored oil around it.

Hmmmm.I have the same issue with my 03 baja with 130k on it.It does the piston slap a few seconds when its cold.Then it goes away after is warm.I get that thicking sound after is warm,when the trany gets ready to shift. Mostly between 25-34k rpm. I'm pretty sure that the tensioner pin on mine looks like you said. Does that mean is bad?