Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Suburu Impreza EJ16 Turbo Conversion?

Okay guys,

im new to this forum so go easy :)

ive got a Suburu Impreza 1.6 1996 model.. (In the pic below)

Like the title says im thinking about converting it to a turbo.

Now before everyone says 'Why dont i drop a 2.5T in it..' it would be near impossible for me to pay out for the insurance therefore i wouldnt declare it.. and that could be quite risky..

8087181lf2.jpg

Ive searched everyone on the net for conversion packges and parts i need to do the conversion but i cant get no answers. If you guys could help i'd appreciate it! :lol:

Thanks Jamess.C

Edited by Jamesc182

Just out of curiosity, why does a different motor effect insurance? I take it you have to notify them of the swap? In the states you don't have to do that. We don't 1.6's in the us either. So I dunno, a complete swap would definitely be the easiest. If you want to bolt a turbo to the stock motor it probably would reduce the longevity of the motor. But if that's the route you wanted to go, you could probably pick up the parts from a parts car that is already turboed and swap the necessary parts into yours. Nice looking car though!

Oh yeah doesn anyone know the specific turbo charger i would have to bolt on?

Also Insurance in England is messed up Dude!

They make us pay near $3,000 for new drivers..

yeah I know all about expensive insurance! I had a 97 Impreza when I was 19 and it cost $225 a month to insure!!! Ummm, whats the turbo that comes on a stock WRX? I can't remember. Or you could try to make a turbo from an older GL turbo fit. That would probably be small enough so that it wouldn't put too much boost into the motor. Or maybe one form an early Legacy turbo?

Okay guys,

im new to this forum so go easy :)

ive got a Suburu Impreza 1.6 1996 model.. (In the pic below)

Like the title says im thinking about converting it to a turbo.

Now before everyone says 'Why dont i drop a 2.5T in it..' it would be near impossible for me to pay out for the insurance therefore i wouldnt declare it.. and that could be quite risky..

8087181lf2.jpg

Ive searched everyone on the net for conversion packges and parts i need to do the conversion but i cant get no answers. If you guys could help i'd appreciate it! :lol:

Thanks Jamess.C

I understand the risk about not declaring the 2.5T motor swap to your insurance company as you say, but what is the difference in not declaring a turbo converted to your 1.6 motor? The non declare factor seems the same to me.

Also, if you did have an insurance claim, how would the insurance company know that you have changed the motor? If the car was damaged in an accident that did not involve the front of the car, the insurance agent would not be looking under the hood (bonnet). If the front of the car got hit hard enough to damage the engine, it would result in the insurance company declaring the car a "total loss." No one would care, or notice, that the engine had a turbo.

a board memeber slapped a turbo set up on his non turbo EJ22. the EJ18/EJ22 does fine with mild boost. but i've seen very little info on doing it here.

if done right and not intending to up the boost you should be able to maintain reliability.

NASIOC is a good place to try for more info if no one here offers any advice.

i'd also think local shops could help?

Ummm, whats the turbo that comes on a stock WRX? I can't remember. Or you could try to make a turbo from an older GL turbo fit. That would probably be small enough so that it wouldn't put too much boost into the motor. Or maybe one form an early Legacy turbo?

A WRX turbo would proabably be overkill. Especially because you will want to keep the boost low unless you swap pistons. Even the ones on the 2.0L WRX was designed to feed a 20% bigger engine at double to triple the boost you will want to run. It would likely take forever to spool up. can you say laaaag.

GL turbo would be perfect and cheap. Only sucky thing is finding flanges to mate, but any good fabricator can cut one out of plate.