Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I love this car! Soo easy to work on!!

97 Legacy Brighton 2.2 5sp 192,000 miles

I just pulled the engine to do a re-seal, timing set, water pump, and clutch. What a breeze to work on. By far the easiest car I have ever wenched. I love the engine harness disconect. Why can't other manufacturers do that?

The engine went back in without a hitch. The timing was spot on and except for putting the thermostat in upside down :rolleyes: there were no problems.

Just had to share!!

Anthony

Yea working on a Subie engine is nice. Everything except the spark plugs is a breeze to change.

I considered buying a Dodge minivan at the same time that an 08 Subie OBW were available for sale. I opened the hood on the Dodge, and saw that the motor lay out was an impossible mess. Nothing was user friendly to work on under the hood in that minivan. That convinced me to pass on buying the van.

bought my first new car ever in the fall or 1979 (1980 4 dr DL 1.6 5 spd---talk about gutless...lol). Got in an accident and negotiated with insurance company to keep the car (had 100,000 miles but changed the oil every 2500). I wanted to do something with the motor.

Eventually found a car needing a motor...bought a chiltons manual...and figured out what to do.

After that, I started looking for sub's with problems and started making a few extra bucks

Been driving ever since

At one time, I had 5 or 6 parts cars on the property--you can imagine what the wifey thought of that!

Great cars...reliable (altho more so pre 1995)....4WD awesome

Downside...engines are not quiet...exhaust sys too expensive....power was lacking (in past)...and I always felt they were behind the pack when it comes to stylish body designs

But hey, I'm a guy....a car is just depreciation on 4 wheels...I prefer relability and being easy to work on than those other things