Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Any issues with the H6-3.0....??

I see quite a few for sale with just over 100k for cheap. Any known issues?
no. there's a recent thread with some great H6 specific information.

lots of people sell cars at 100k miles. very typical. and the 2000 year models are starting to get old, a lot of people don't want to drive 10 year old cars.

I have read that the H4 has better gas milage then the H6, but by how much, I don't know. Prolly written up in the archives here if you search around.

The H6 is more difficult to work on than the H4. The engine bay is filled up just that much more. Not as easy to get your hands in and around things.

I have read that the H4 has better gas milage then the H6, but by how much, I don't know. Prolly written up in the archives here if you search around.

The H6 is more difficult to work on than the H4. The engine bay is filled up just that much more. Not as easy to get your hands in and around things.

Fortunately, not much underhood maint. required, it is indeed tight.

By 100Kmiles, I'd def. replace the serpentine belt idler pulley bearings.

Its been found they go soon after 100K, and they are about $5 each if you put new bearings in the factory pulley assemblies.

Dave

FYI The H6 3.0 Liter engine is far less problematic than the 4 cylinder models in those model years, with none of the dreaded head gasket issues that seem to plague 4 cylinder models from 02-whenever the issue was improved (perhaps around 04-05, though not sure if fully addressed). Every mechanic I've spoken with says that the H6 is a far higher quality design with a far superior track record.

Every 4 cylinder I inspected (whether in service records or in full garage inspection) when looking for our Outback inspected poorly, whereas the H6 we bought only a little before its 90K servicing (which means 30K since last major service) needed only a serpentine belt replacement.

Also, the mileage his is very small, according to a poster here only about 1 mpg. You do have to use premium gas, not sure if that's the case with the 4 cylinder cars as well.

I have a 2003 H6 3.0 VDC model, runs great. Only had to replace serpentine belt when I bought it about 6 months ago and no breakdowns. Only issues I have are minor and being repaired during 90K servicing now.

After everything I read on USBM when researching the cars, I'd only buy the H6.

I have the 3.0 H6.....

In my XT-6.:headbang:

Actually from working on them in the field there are a few MAJOR issues with them. Firstly, as mentioned, the serp belt tensioner and idler bearings fail. Secondly, the valve covers leak and they are slightly more of a PITA then the 4 cylinder. And finally, they only come as autos.:mad: I want the 3.0R Spec B with a MT 6 speed! Jerks.