Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Already Made Them Mad

I joined a Dodge Minivan forum to get some tips and tricks on my wifes van and i was mentioning the reliability of my subaru because someone was wanting recomendations on a 4cyl wagon. Yea there kinda snipeing at me about how subarus suck and there not reliable, hard to work on. I was like have you ever touched one man. Yea not a good impression what so ever.

is Normal to the Human Beings to Fear those Things that They Don`t Know... in Other Words, People who Drives Straight Cyls Engined Cars with almost nothing Mechanical Knowledge (sometimes even the Basics) and Driving Mini Vans ... :rolleyes: ... Trend to Fear a Japanese Boxer Engined Car... (those are like Water and Oil, Don`t Mix)

I don`t want to offend anyone, but our Local Mechanics has the Same Behaviour about Subies... is Easy to Damage Something while trying to fix it without the Right Knowledge, and then Blame the Damaged Thing ... :-\...

you probably lasted longer there than NASIOC?:lol:

my parents are dodge minivan fans. they've had great luck with a few. they've gotten 200,000+ miles out of theirs with no need for timing belt maintenance. which ends up being a very economical 200k. i can't blame them for buying them so far, they've had few problems.

people are there for a reason and don't want to hear even hints that their stuff is inferior. not much different here, i'm fairly knowledgeable about subaru's, drive them for a reason, and don't want to hear folks negative views of them..i'm already well aware of the EJ25:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Right but cummon, all i need for ammo is how many transmissions have you been through.

Heres a post i got recently.

Oh, but I do. My father bought a 1996 Subaru Legacy L wagon for the longest five-minutes ever. It was severely under-powered, essentially sat on the ground, had tiny wheels, had the classic Subaru "rattle" so bad that living in a batting cage seemed like a bargain by comparison.

And that "brilliant" all-wheel-drive? Forget it. That car sat there in the winter while my parents borrowed the van. Unless you piled enormous amounts of cement in the back of that Subaru it didn't have a prayer.

And then the head gasket blew on it, and a valve jumped the guide and we've never even looked at another one. It looked exactly like this, it was this color and everything, except it had plastic wheel covers. Look at that ENORMOUS front end, for that pathetic little "Subaru Boxer" which screamed, rattled, and cried if you ever even hinted at passing gear.

Wow! I've never heard that description of a subaru and never seen one that bad! I agree about how much junk a minivan is! An ex girlfriend's family always had minivans, and they always sagged in the rear, they went through three tranny's for each one they owned, and the gas mileage was terrible, and to work on them was impossible!

Brand loyalty is entirely BS. Every manufacturer has their share of models that they would rather just forget. Subaru has the Justy ECVT, the phase I and II EJ25's (which is like half a decade of virtually everything they built :rolleyes:), and other lesser known items such as every car that rolled with air suspension :lol:. I won't even bother with the EA82T's....

The real questions have to be asked on a model specific and year specific basis. There were some years of Chrysler minivans that were truely awesome cars. Just as Ford had quite a winner with the Aerostar and a complete failure with the Windstar..... Chrysler can claim the same. I had a terrible experience with a 96 Dodge Caravan but I also KNOW there are other years that were better.

This is just the way of the world. I build and maintain industrial machinery and it's not any different. We have problem children too and other models that just won't die despite their neglectful owners.

This is also the reason I don't buy cars untill they are around 3 to 5 years old at least - I would rather let some other poor sap absorb the rapid depreciation and do all the research with respect to reliability and economy.

GD

Wow! I've never heard that description of a subaru and never seen one that bad! ...

Me Neither, maybe that Subaru was Damaged, you know... a Broken Axle, stuck brakes... etc... as I Said: is Easy to Blame a Car when is the Owner`s Fault.

... Every manufacturer has their share of models that they would rather just forget. ...

Yes, That`s True. I know that Subarus, like other car Brands aren`t Perfect, but in Subarus That`s one of their Great Parts, because they are like Legos :) we Always are trying to find our personal definition of "Perfection" on our Subies, you know, someones Swap Engines, Gearboxes, etc... others love to Lift Them while others love to Lower them, etc ... I Believe that could not be Easy to do in other Car`s Brands, for example a Minivan.

you probably lasted longer there than NASIOC? :lol: ...

wow, for a minute i thought you where talking about nasioc.com...

When the USMB Servers went Down, I Signed in Nasioc and after two or three Posts, they Really make me Feel Too Sad, when called us "The USMB Refugees" ... :-\ ...

Well... let me Tell you that, as GD said:

...The real questions have to be asked on a model specific and year specific basis. ...

I Suggest you to Avoid to use Subaru Comparisons in Other Car Brand`s Forums... That "Bad Feeling" Happened to me in a Mercury Forums, when I Posted about I Need an Electronic Distribuitor for my 1969 Comet, and I said Something like "Some of my Subaru Friends with Old Point Distys, swapped `em with Electronic Pointless ones in their Subies with Great Results... " that was enough to Start...

Edited by Loyale 2.7 Turbo

Right but cummon, all i need for ammo is how many transmissions have you been through.

Heres a post i got recently.

Oh, but I do. My father bought a 1996 Subaru Legacy L wagon for the longest five-minutes ever. It was severely under-powered, essentially sat on the ground, had tiny wheels, had the classic Subaru "rattle" so bad that living in a batting cage seemed like a bargain by comparison.

And that "brilliant" all-wheel-drive? Forget it. That car sat there in the winter while my parents borrowed the van. Unless you piled enormous amounts of cement in the back of that Subaru it didn't have a prayer.

And then the head gasket blew on it, and a valve jumped the guide and we've never even looked at another one.

First off, a 96 L legacy would have had a 2.2, so likely it did NOT blow a headgasket and it couldn't have damaged a valve even if a timing belt had broke.

I'll bet they didn't do ************ for maintenance.

We all know the truth

Humm i thought after 1995 the 2.5 was used.

First off, a 96 L legacy would have had a 2.2, ...

Well... it depends on the Country Market... Maybe it vary in the USA from one State to Another... Here in my Country the 1.8 is Still available in Basic Legacies while the 1.5L and 1.6L are in the Basic imprezas... 2.5 is just an Option, along with 2.2 and 2.0

All I know is that my Subaru's have all started for the last 15yrs. Everyday. With the basic minor maintenance and minor cost the thing has paid for itself over and over....and it has 250,000 miles on it...how many dodge caravans can say that? ( of course there could be 10x the amount of caravans made vs my impreza)

My mom and dad have done Plymouth/Dodge Caravan thing. I'm okay with them, but wouldn't touch the snow with one again. I think it's a '98 that they have right now, and it looses its belt when you hit snow because it packs up in front of the engine and knocks it off (twice now). And don't even get me started on working on that thing. :eek:

I'd own one, but I'd have a mechanic. :Flame:

Firstly, points suck. Secondly, Aerostars also suck. Thirdly, if I had a nickel for every dodge caravan tranny I replaced last year I'd have a bit over a dollar fifdy. Luckily I get much more then a nickel to replace them:banana:

The funniest thing I've ever replace on a caravan was the BCM. The timer circuit fried on a customer's that killed the battery in the process and he brought it to us. Unfortunately for him the timer runs just about everything from the interior lights to the head lights and none of them worked. So about $1k later and two weeks(they have to program the vin into it at the factory) he had headlights again.:eek:

This is also the reason I don't buy cars untill they are around 3 to 5 years old at least - I would rather let some other poor sap absorb the rapid depreciation and do all the research with respect to reliability and economy.

GD

Me too, I've never owned a new car and never will. Hopefully everyone else doesn't figure that out or we're screwed!

They suck to work on, but my family has had 5 of them and all have made it to 200k without issue. Our 94 has 240k on it right now and other than tie rod ends and routine maintenance it's never been in the shop.

I wouldn't (and I don't) work on them though. Too cramped.

GD

They were some of the quickest and worst rusting vehichles I ever saw in the midwest. Every single one was missing most or all of the rocker panels and parts of the floor.

I blame the big 3 influence in midwest politics more than the engineers of the vehichle. Could have been a fine product if not eaten by cancer.

I've gotten a lot of crap about owning a subaru plenty of times, until I tell them I paid $400 for it and I get 30 mpg!!!!! Even better when I had the $150 GL10 !!! Or when you get to work in the snow when others can't get out of the driveway!

You'll always have someone disagree no matter what you drive. You could be in a Ferrari and someone will say it's junk!