Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Test drove a '91 Legacy wagon - need advice

I went up and test drove a '91 Legacy AWD wagon, five speed. Guy wants $1,300. But, I have some issues with it. First of all, when you are giving it power, or doing any form of coasting down a hill (with the clutch engaged, of course), there is this ambient grinding noise that does not stop. That, and the heat does not seem to be working. Could be a fan motor or a resistor. What would you guess that grinding is?

The grinding could either be rusty brakes from sitting, or a wheel bearing.

Perhaps. I think it's something with the drivetrain because it only does it during acceleration or engine braking. It doesn't make any noise when you're doing a consistent highway speed. It drives fine otherwise, and I still kind of want to buy it because it's in great shape. I just need to know how bad of a fix this will be.

That, and the heat sort of works. The fan switch does nothing, and there is heat kind of seeping out of the vents. I did not have a fuse puller so I couldn't check the fuses.

+1 on the axle shaft. I have had the inner joint make noise like you describe. Just to be safe check the trans/front diff. fluid. $1300 is a little high for a car making grinding noises of any kind unless the body is perfect and has lower miles.

Seller claims he changed all fluids including trans/diff. He says it's been making that noise since he started driving it. So maybe it just needs an axle shaft?

Check the front shaft on the passenger side. The inner joint sits right above the cat converter and gets lots of heat. I have also seen some posts about poor quality new axle shafts making vibrations/weird noises so read up before you buy any axles. Hopefully it is only a bad axle and not a trans/diff problem.

Edited by subyfreak

The five speeds tend to develope that *growl* after alot of miles and if driven hard. I bought one for $250 with high miles that was loud. It's still drivin round fine 50k miles later. I did adjust the front diff backlash and that helped. Got rid of the dead spot between *on* and *off* throttle, but it still had the growl.

It is probably in need of a backlash adjustment in the front diff. And furthermore the bearings on the input shaft are prolly worn a bit too.

But they just keep on going. If the body is very clean, and the engine strong $1300 isn't a bad price. It's not a steal, and you might want to offer $1000 or less to start, but I wouldn't worry too much.

Check the front shaft on the passenger side. The inner joint sits right above the cat converter and gets lots of heat. I have also seen some posts about poor quality new axle shafts making vibrations/weird noises so read up before you buy any axles. Hopefully it is only a bad axle and not a trans/diff problem.

Yeah, I assume that would be the problem, the noise sounded like it was coming from the passenger side. However, the guy seems firm on his price so I'm walking for now. $1,300 is a little much for a '91 Legacy with issues.

i think you need to expand your search area. you shouldn't have any problem getting a decent subaru for $1,300. i'd want one newer and without unknown growling noises.

that could very well be the front diff, i'd walk. he may know or expect more than he's leading on.

Yeah, I assume that would be the problem, the noise sounded like it was coming from the passenger side. However, the guy seems firm on his price so I'm walking for now. $1,300 is a little much for a '91 Legacy with issues.

I agree that you are smart in walking away from a car with some issues. IMO, $1,300 is too high, even if the car had no issues. The car is 18 year old, if in decent shape with no issues, cost should be about $800.

i think you need to expand your search area. you shouldn't have any problem getting a decent subaru for $1,300. i'd want one newer and without unknown growling noises.

that could very well be the front diff, i'd walk. he may know or expect more than he's leading on.

I drove 130 miles each way for this one. haha