Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Do-It-Yourself Bedliner...

I saw the duplicolor stuff used on Extreme 4x4 this weekend, and the final product looked pretty good. They did not go into high detail on the prep & applying the product, but im sure if they backed it up then it couldnt be crap.

This was also a $40,000 project they were working on, so they didn't use the do-it-yourself job to save money.

I used to watch those shows.... then I figured out they are more or less informercials... with really cool project cars though :grin:

Maybe they used the duplicolor stuff because they gave em $5000 plus free product. Just a thought.

I used herculiner on my brats, messy, stuck pretty good, but I didnt have either brat to give a long term quality report. Warning... if you do it inside you will get loaded off the fumes. :rolleyes:

I saw the duplicolor stuff used on Extreme 4x4 this weekend, and the final product looked pretty good. They did not go into high detail on the prep & applying the product, but im sure if they backed it up then it couldnt be crap.

This was also a $40,000 project they were working on, so they didn't use the do-it-yourself job to save money.

It could also be the fact that the TV show is highly sponsored by the companies producing the products they are endorsing?!?!?! :eek::rolleyes:

I bet once the real owner gets their project truck; all that crap is stripped out, and done correctly. That is, if it isn't Line-X that they've just told you is Duplicolor.

I've used both the Herculiner, and the Duplicolor. I got KILLER deals on both products when I worked at an autoparts store. I thought I'd be saving the money of getting Line-X job done. In the end; I wasted a whole F'n bunch of my time. I'm a pretty meticulous person, and I know all about prep work. I used both of these products on truck beds, as well the trunk of a car. Both of them sucked, and looked like crap within a year. The Duplicolor ended up flaking off the inside of the trunk, leaving me with a big mess to clean up before spending the money to get it done right.

These kits are cheap for a reason. They are an inexpensive fix to a problem that requires good quality materials.

If this is a vehicle you are serious about having for the long term; buck up, and do it right.

thought i would put in my .02

i worked for a truck accesories shop for a while and have sprayed quite a few bedliners.

we used Scorpion http://www.scorpioncoatings.com/

it is very flexible and keeps its color we used to charge around $5.50 /sq ft for non truck apps (we had flat rates for long and short beds) I would think with a sube you could work out a special rate.

on do it yourself...

preparation,preparation,preparation.......

have not done any of these but even with the pro stuff its THE most important step, rough up the paint with a nylon or wire brush or even a needle scaler. if the product you use has a primer type product - use it.

cleanliness is the next most important use multi purpose thinners or lacquer thinner and wipe down everything so there is no dust or grease or rust.

i have seen a few DIY's and none look good after a while,

that said i no longer work for this company and am wondering if surface prep is the key as i would like to do my brat both in the bed and inside the cab so am interested in the DIY results that others have had

• 6 months later...

Well i pretty much was forced to do this. I was traveling with a spare car battery in the bed, and it tipped over and leaked. Then proceeded to eat straight through the paint to expose some shiney metal.

So I neutralized the acid and preppared the area, and bought some Rustoleum Bed Liner.

I picked up a Gallon of roll on liner, and a can of the spray stuff. I used steel wool to scuff the bed, and break down all the surface rust. Also used my angle grinder to take care of some nasty stuff.

No primer or anything, just started laying it on. I used the spray can to get corners and stuff... then rolled on a good coat with the gallon. Suprisingly to myself, I only used like 1/4 of the gallon for the first coat. So I did another coat and let it sit and dry.

A week later, I went and bought 2 more cans of aerosol cans and masked the truck for its final coats.

I used the roll on bedliner for pretty much everything except above and around the rear window. After a good thick coat of rolled on liner, i used the aerosol cans to hit heavily in the corners, and around all the tie down spots. Then I emptied my roller pan in the bed of the brat, and used the bed as a roller pan. The final coat consisted of about 1/3 gallon spilled in the bed little at a time and rolled around with an average paint roller.

I think it should last me alittle while. And sure does look alot better than the beatup half rusty bed i used to have.

A few pix of before, during & after:

IMG_0896.JPG

IMG_0898.JPG

IMG_0900.JPG

thats all from the first coat pretty much. Here are the ones from the following week with the masking and final coats:

IMG_0928.JPG

IMG_0930.JPG

IMG_0934.JPG

I ended up leaving every panel on except one. I was originally thinking of doing the panels seperatly but then got lazy. After you start a laying a coat of this stuff.... your head gets alittle whoooooozy and you kinda forget things. So I have to just do that 1 panel and the tail-gate, and its done. Also re-paint my rollbar & Install that.

Edited by TheSubaruJunkie

Been wanting to do the interior of the GL with that stuff. (stripped down to seats and dash for the past year)

Prep will be the key. Seen Jeeps with that type of stuff covering the inside and it makes a great wheeler interior. :)

Looks good let us know how it holds up.

I still have about 1/2 a gallon left, maybe less. I am thinking of doing the interior of my 4Runner in it.

The texture would be near perfect. Its not as coarse as rhino lining, so it shouldnt catch & trap dirt as bad. However, im sure the entire interior of your subie will be a whole lot louder with it.

My whole interior is already loud. :grin: Nothing but sheetmetal right now. I ditched the worn out carpet and headliner (the headliner looked good from the driver's seat, but once I peeked inside. :eek: Like an Umbrella Corp. lab experiment in there) last year, rear seat went too as I didn't need it. I kept the door panels, dash, and front seats.

Only thing I've done floor wise is throw a couple heavy duty winter floor mats up front.

Good to know on the texture. :)