Ultimate Subaru Message Board

O2 sensor, one wire or two?

That was the most informative explanation I have read. When the readings fall to a predetermined unacceptable level....."below threshhold"

It all makes sense. I erased the code and put in some better fuel and an additive. I am sure that the CEL will come on again. I planned on two new o2 sensors with the new cat.

So what is everyone's experiences with new cats? I see the OEM one from Subaru is around $900. I see others with both cats in one pipe as low as $250. Can I get away with a non-Subaru cat?

if you are resigned to replacing it all, cats and sensors, why not try just the sensors and see what happens. you may get a few days, a few months or more before you have to spend the big bucks. you may not. where's the downside?? the new sensors aren't going to go bad are they? you can always go back and get the cats.

if you are resigned to replacing it all, cats and sensors, why not try just the sensors and see what happens. you may get a few days, a few months or more before you have to spend the big bucks. you may not. where's the downside?? the new sensors aren't going to go bad are they? you can always go back and get the cats.

That is what I figured I'd do. I bought a universal two-wire but I think it is not going to work. I will probably spend the cash and get the plug and play sensors. As a last resort I will spend the money on the new cat.

For now I reset the CEL and filled up with decent fuel and put in an additive. I have driven it 4 times for about 50 miles and the light is still off.