Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1990 legacy LS wagon 5 speed

well the battery died, couldn't push start it, so went and got a junk yard battery, dumb rump roast me but the connectors on backwards:eek::banghead: saw smoke and disconnect, so the smoke came from the alternator and fuse box,I don't really know what to do, I think the alternator is fried now, and the fuse/wire link in the fuse box in the engine bay is fried too.

got new battery, found wire link, put link in, and battery in, try to start car, nothing works, no lights, no gauge lights (idiot lights), no auto belts, nothing, but did get the bell from the ignition

what did I break, and how can I fix it.?

I learned my lesson, look at the battery before connecting.:banghead::mad: stupid me.

might have to junk it if the main fuse did not blow. check the fuse box under the hood. Probably one of the BIG fusable links, they "should" blow in this case. If so, you will be fine. If the fuse there did not blow, than you fried the harness, ecu, alternator, starter, ignition switch, lights, fans, radio,etc, meaning, cheaper to junk it.

Edited by bheinen74

Man, I feel for you. Such an ez misstake to make. I don't know how many time I have nearly jumped started a car only to realize that I was in the process of reversing the cables.

since the alternator was smoking, you can figure that it will need to be replaced.

Suggest check source of smoke at the fuse box. Something there got hot enough to smoke, prolly burnt wire insulation. I think the fuse block unbolts from it's mount, so unbolt it, and look for melted wires underneath. There are prolly other fuseable links elsewhere, that need to be looked at for possible replacement. Maybe others here can tell you where to look these fuseable links.

I hope you did not try to start the car with the backwards wiring. If not, then you ignition system may be okay.

well in the engine bay fuse box (near the battery) I opened it cheeked the fuses and notice this wire in there. it was fried, I replaced it with another one, then put the battery in the right way, in the wire fried again. plus I noticed the wire brushes in the alternator went from this nice looking copper to this nasty looking black burnt cooper look. and no I didn't start the car with the backwards connection. I stopped once I noticed the smoke coming from the alternator and fuse box. and the fuses are fine looking to me after looking at them.

any thing else I should look at, and know that i broke. and or do.:-\

I took the time to look in the Haynes Manual for you. In the car wiring section, it shows two fuse links in the wiring harness. From the drawings, I couldn't tell where the fuse links were located under the hood. Suggest you find a Haynes or other Subie manual for the wiring diagram.

Hopefully, by now you have had a chance to look further into the wiring to see if additional wiring is burned up. You may get lucky and just have to replace some wiring, and maybe the ecu module. Since you didn't turn the ingnition key during cable reversing, your ignition system may not be damaged.

Let us know how you are coming along on this, maybe we can help you some more.

well got a new alternator, and fuse wire link, that got cooked twice. turns out that got cook cause the alternator was bad. any ways put the new alternator in and in also with the fuse link, started the car and it works fine. so the guys at the yard says that there is a safety link in case a dumb rump roast like me does that, reverse the connection on a battery.just the fuse link fries and that is it. so all in all I learned my lesson. yay:lol: car runs like it did before, and blew a fuse in my amp that is it.

well got a new alternator, and fuse wire link, that got cooked twice. turns out that got cook cause the alternator was bad. any ways put the new alternator in and in also with the fuse link, started the car and it works fine. so the guys at the yard says that there is a safety link in case a dumb rump roast like me does that, reverse the connection on a battery.just the fuse link fries and that is it. so all in all I learned my lesson. yay:lol: car runs like it did before, and blew a fuse in my amp that is it.

Glad to hear that you escaped this adventure with very minimal damage. How thoughtful for Subie to have the safety link to stop major damage from reverse polarity. From your experience, I will be extra careful when installing a new battery in any car to make sure I connect the cables correctly.