Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Good Subaru Mechanic in Bellingham

So I decided that I won't be putting out my 86 GL (brownie) to pasture just yet. Partly because I may not be employed come Summer and partly because I LIKE having no car payment.

So...brownie needs some help. He leaks oil (and more than is "normal" for a Subaru). Smells of gas when I start up (I understand it needs a reseal on the carb, but I have a Weber in a box so I'll likely just go that route).

Basically I'm looking for a good Subaru mechanic in Bellingham, WA (or Seattle if I have no other options) that YOU would trust to rebuild the engine. I was originally going to go with CCR but at nearly $2500 for a rebuilt engine it is not looking like the wise choice.

I've been to Precision Tune and Harmony Motorworks so far and both have been disasters. Any recommendations? I'm all ears.

As much as I'd love to do it myself (and I have done a number of small things on the car with the help of friends) I just don't have the skill or the space to pull it off. Since I'm not sure about being employed after June I figure I'd better get it done while I'm still getting a paycheck.

Any ideas?

:-\

Kevin

while you are employed, buy the parts and tools to fix it

while you are collecting unemployment, rebuild the engine

until then, replace the valve cover gaskets and grommets.

easy 1/2 hr "in frame" job, especially if you use a gear wrench

carb reseal can be done in a LONG day

while you are employed, buy the parts and tools to fix it

while you are collecting unemployment, rebuild the engine

until then, replace the valve cover gaskets and grommets.

easy 1/2 hr "in frame" job, especially if you use a gear wrench

carb reseal can be done in a LONG day

I like the inventiveness, only problem is that I live in a small apartment so I don't have anyplace to work on the car. If I can score a yard or garage with the unemployment then I think I'll go that route. I have a Weber sitting around so I'm going to skip the carb reseal and put it on (or have it done).

:lol: