Ultimate Subaru Message Board

car wont run warm

84_GL

Hi need some help, my 84 gl wont idle warm and if i step on the gas it wants to die, ive rebuilt the carb twice, two different rebuilt kits both had some parts that were right and some that were not, ive replaced vacuum lines and nothing seems to fix the problem. Thinking of ordering a weber, wanted some advice before buying one is there anything else i should check? thanks

the choke seems to be working properly closed when cold and open when warm, ive been debating on replacing the coil wasnt sure if that would cause that problem. Could the ignition also cause this its not starting good anymore either not sure if its the starter or ignition was planning on taking the starter in to have it checked. Also if i spray starting fluid on the base of the carbuator the idle pickes up ive put new gaskets on replaced the spacer and doubled up the gaskets and it still pickes up idle when i spray it not sure if the manifold or the base of the carb is warped.

if you Spray under the Carb and the idle increases, so There must be some unwanted Vacuum There! ... I have had Many Problems with those Craptachi Carbs... That`s Why I swapped a Weber in my EA82 Subie with Great Results!

I Suggest you to Check Carefully for Vacuums at the Carb`s Base, maybe it isn`t Flat anymore... You can Try to spread Shellac between the Gaskets.

Good Luck!

I bad coil can cause the car to quit running. A way to check it is simple..once its warmed up and shuts off...touch the coil .. If its hot hot ..then very good chance its bad. It has been known to happen...did me. But mine would start running like dookie before it would die. would turn it off for 10 minutes and it would be fine.