Ultimate Subaru Message Board

90k maintenance at 81K? Also, airbag inspection question

My 1999 Legacy Outback was purchased in Feb of 1999 and only has 81k miles on it- not a ton of driving obviously. Does the fact that I have now had it for 10 years outweigh the miles or do I wait until 90k to get the maintenance done?

Also, does the airbag inspection have to be done by a dealer?

TIA

IMO, I would weigh "time" in the factor of when to do some maintenance work. If it were my car, I would replace the timing belt, pulley, tensioner, water pump, and front oil seal at the same time. The timing belt is the key item to replace, but since all the other replacebable parts are right at hand, it makes sense to replace them at the same time with minimal extra labor cost. This is what I did, when I bought my 99 OBW a few years back.

I am unaware of airbag inspection. I have never heard of that before.

I should clarify- I have these HUGE warnings all over both of my visors that my airbags need to be inspected ten years after manufacture.

Depending on your frame of mind, you might find the following thread either informative or entertaining:

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=65967

I'd start by asking your dealer what they inspect.

1 month = 1000 miles.

You are overdue for a timing belt and all the associated parts. You can also use a tranny fluid change.

The airbag inspection came about because no one was really sure how long the SRS would remain functioning. Right now it is assumed they last the life of the car. All the dealer is going to do is scan the SRS puter for any issues, which is what the SRS light on the dashbaord is for. I would skip it.

nipper

ignore all the air bag warning stuff. that's basically CYA stuff now for auto manufacturers and in this case it can be glanced over. there are hundreds of thousands of cars all over the nation that have never had the SRS system inspected. there's no need.

your SRS light and computer will flash if there's a problem, that's all the dealer is going to inspect. now if you've had some kind of significant damage or repair to the bumper then it's prudent to check the front sensors.

i'm with nipper, you have an interference engine, if the belt breaks your motor is toast. i think your timing belt is a 105k belt, but it and the pulleys are 10 years old.

whenever you have your timing belt replaced i'd replace all the pulleys, tensioner and water pump so you're good for another 105,000 miles (or 105 months!). i wouldn't want to expect anything to last the full 200,000ish miles.

i'm going to make up a number...say you have a %2 chance of a broken timing belt if you wait until 105,000 miles. that means you have a 98% chance of not breaking one. chances are good you're fine....but, that %2 sucks real bad when it ruins your motor.

if you have an owners manual it always says things like "12,000 miles or 12 months". "105,000 miles or 105 months"....etc. in some cases it's important (timing belt stuff), in others it's not (air bag "inspection"). that's where places like this really help.