Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Re-Blacking Wiper Blade Arms

Most of the metal trim (that was originally black) cannot come off the car to be spray painted. I don't know how to use a spray to get it black again. I'm lousy at masking off to paint anything.

Just takes practice. Use a good quality mask tape made for automotive paint. Also a sharp exacto knife will help greatly too with getting the tape to do what you want it to do. What I do is mask with a thinner tape like 3/8 inch and then when all the detail is done I take newsprint (I too am a cheap bastard) and a wider tape and cover up what I do not want paint on. When you remove the tape, always pull away from the work at a 90 degree angle, other wise your paint may come with it :mad:

[quote name='crash321;798691

]Just takes practice. Use a good quality mask tape made for automotive paint. Also a sharp exacto knife will help greatly too with getting the tape to do what you want it to do. What I do is mask with a thinner tape like 3/8 inch and then when all the detail is done I take newsprint (I too am a cheap bastard) and a wider tape and cover up what I do not want paint on. When you remove the tape' date=' always pull away from the work at a 90 degree angle, other wise your paint may come with it :mad:[/quote']

Thank you - excellent tips!

i used some bumper and trim paint on the ones on my 84 wagon, just scuff it up with some scotch-bite and shoot it! the beauty is than you can shine it up with amor-all on any trim dressing. i did the same on the wheels so when i blacked the tires i would hit the wheels and they would shine like new!

I hate to spray paint, I always get a cramp in my hand from depressing that stupid button. Oh well, not any alternative.

Home depot usually carry those can holder/triggers. They just snap on the can and help keep your hands from getting overspray on them. But they only work with the regular tips, not the "ergonomic" tips some of the more expensive paint brands put on their cans.:)

Of all the tips you guys have posted what about the most important one with spray cans,especially in the cooler northern area's.

Best tip for a good finish with any spray can paint is as well as shaking the can is to hold it in hot water for a few minutes to warm the contents,doesn't have to be too hot though just hot running water you would run for a kid's bath.

When you do this it flows paint much better and is less likely to clog the nozzle and gives an really good finish with absolutely minimal orange peel.

Of all the tips you guys have posted what about the most important one with spray cans,especially in the cooler northern area's.

Best tip for a good finish with any spray can paint is as well as shaking the can is to hold it in hot water for a few minutes to warm the contents,doesn't have to be too hot though just hot running water you would run for a kid's bath.

When you do this it flows paint much better and is less likely to clog the nozzle and gives an really good finish with absolutely minimal orange peel.

That's a really good idea in cold weather, I will try that next time I have cold weather painting to do.