Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Extremely high idle!!! Please help!!!!

I have an 82 GL 4wd wagon, EA81, and the carter carb, the car is idling at about 3200 RPM's consistently. will not go up or down unless in gear and driving. i cannot find any vacuum leaks, i just replaced a couple gaskets in the carb where there was one. i took off the choke thermostat thing on the side of the carb completely and started the car. still no change. I am stuck, please help with any advice you have.

3200? WOW! Something must be holding the throttle open.

Try disconnecting the throttle cable.Take a good look at the fast idle rod and mechanism too.

I had a carter/weber w/a throttle body loose from the float bowl once.Couldn`t tell until the carb was removed.Doubt that would be good for 3200 rpm though.

i actually was just messing with that screw last night and nothing happened. this is why im so baffled, i can open the first butterfly valve in the carb all the way and it doesn't change the way it runs. the throttle acts as if it's sticking if i rev it up because it drops back down to 3200 slowly, but i cant find anything in the linkage that is causing it to bind.

Good news! im making progress! still not fixed but getting close. I disconnected the throttle cable and sure enough the car started idling between 2000-2500.( better than 3200!) but i just can't seem to figure out why it's still idling that high. I feel like an idiot admitting this but i cannot for the life of me find an idle adjustment screw on the carb. thank you for those schematics but they are to small to read. it would be great if anybody had a bigger diagram

Its been awhile since i looked at a carter-weber but ill try to help as best i can. Look at the throttle linkage where the throttle cable attached. Move it by hand and see how it moves. There should be a stop screw somewhere to adjust where it closes. I believe it will be in the drivers side front of the carb. It might even be marked with white if your lucky.

i was messing with that screw the other day and the weird thing is that it wasnt screwed in at all. the only thing stopping the throttle when it closes is the screw that stops against the choke. i let that screw out and it did not effect the way it ran

Good news! im making progress! still not fixed but getting close. I disconnected the throttle cable and sure enough the car started idling between 2000-2500.( better than 3200!) but i just can't seem to figure out why it's still idling that high. I feel like an idiot admitting this but i cannot for the life of me find an idle adjustment screw on the carb. thank you for those schematics but they are to small to read. it would be great if anybody had a bigger diagram

Could be wrong ,but, I think curb idle is adjusted at the idle stop solenoid on the side of the carb opposite the choke coil housing.

the only thing stopping the throttle when it closes is the screw that stops against the choke. i let that screw out and it did not effect the way it ran

I don't know these carbs at all, but there should be a high-idle cam. I believe the screw you adjusted there is the one that stops on that cam. When warm, that cam falls out of the way and lets the throttle rest farther closed on another adjustment screw.

The high-idle cam is moved by the choke when it's cold. When you tap the gas after letting it warm up, the cam moves and allows the throttle to close farther, lowing the idle. It sounds like yours is gummed up and not moving. Same thing happened on my truck last year.

You'll just have to poke around and see if anything moves.

-Dave

So i got the idle down to about 800!!!:banana: The only thing is is that i had to back that choke cam adjustment screw almost all the way out. It runs great however i think im gonna look into the operation of that cam a little more. Thank you VERY much for all your help!