Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2000 4 cyl OBW, 120K. About 18 months ago my A/C stopped working. My independent mechanic topped up the refrigerant and it worked fine until just recently. Took it back to him, and he says now there is a leak in the discharge line (part # 11 in the schematic, the one that runs between the condensor and the compressor) where it connects to the compressor. Is this likely just a bad o-ring, or does the line itself need replaced? Either way, does this repair require a new receiver/dryer at the same time? TIA.

Edited by J A Blazer
correct the part description

Florescent dye can be added to your A/C system by your mechanic to detect exactly where the leak is located. A black light is then used to find the leak by seeing where the dye is seeping out. Yes, it could be just a bad "O" ring, or the line could be bad. Finding exactly where the leak is located can tell your mechanic what needs to be replace.

IMO, I don't think that a new receiver/dryer is needed. That gets replaced when the compressor goes bad, sending metallic grit through the system.

i'd hate to see how many A/C bills for hundreds/thousands of dollars really just a 50 cent o-ring or schrader valve.

i've fixed a number of A/C systems just by replacing the orings, schrader valves, and recharging it. i've even done the ghetto charge of just blowing refrigerant in without pulling a vacuum. my buddy still drives that car and it's been quite a few years...4 at least.

sounds to me like yours is an oring issue. replace the oring and properly tighten the bolt. i would replace all of the easy ones while the system is open. there's a few that can be replaced in a matter of minutes, it'll all be under an hour so essentially it shouldn't cost you anything else except the 50 cent part. replacing one oring takes 4 minutes - replacing 4 takes 15...either way you're getting billed an hour probably. have them replace all the easily accessible ones.