Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Ready to resurect

Howdy! I am new to the forum, but I am a long time owner of a blue '82 GL wagon. The car has been sitting for about six years, two of which have been in the back yard after the city threatened to tow it away. I have recently got the itch to bring the old gal back to life. I suspect the head gasket is bad, but it cold be a cracked head:-\. Any suggestions would help me out since I have never done an engine rebuild but I think it will be fun to work on. Wish me luck

Cracked heads are impossibly rare on EA81's. If it has overheating problems it is very likely the radiator, thermostat, or air in the system. If you are losing coolant it could be the head gasket or it could be a freeze plug has come out. Is it burning coolant or do you have coolant in the oil?

The engine in your '82 is quite reliable and not prone to any particular faiure - generally what gets them in the end is lack of lubrication system maintenance. If it has had poor oil change history then the oil pump is likely to need replacing as the filters clog and the bypass valve inside the filter protects the engine by allowing oil to bypass the clogged element - resulting in wear and failure of the oil pump.

GD

Also if it was some sort Like That when you Stopped it, I Suggest to Take that Engine Out, Remove the Heads to Change the Head Gaskets and there you can Clean the Oil Passages, maybe to Change the Oil Pump too is good Idea.

Radiator Must need Service... Coolant trend to Crystalize if it Doesn`t move / Warm for long time, Clogging it. Also I Suggest to Change Spark Plugs and Gearbox / Diff Oils.

Good Luck! ... Post Pics here as Long as you Can!

Kind Regards.

I did, looks proper smart eh? :rolleyes:

This ought to be a fun project.

These things are incredibly simple to troubleshoot and work on.

I brought an '82 back to life not too long ago.

It was parked 6 years ago with a seized engine.

Replaced it with a good used unit i had. Never looked back.

Have fun!!

That is the original paint. I guess my Grandparents had good taste.

I've got an '82 wagon that color too. Reef Blue is what the code comes up as. More rust down below on mine though ;) And I've seen another EA81 wagon in Boulder that color. It's one of the more rare colors (compared to the white, tan, and light blue ones that are all over), but they are around.

Edited by zyewdall

• 4 weeks later...