Ultimate Subaru Message Board

need a little electrical help

I have just purchased an '84 Brat (manual trans., if it matters), the former owner "started" to install a cruise control using GL parts, he mounted most of the components, but never finished wiring it. I have a yellow wire under the hood that goes on the ignition coil, but my wiring diagram (Haynes manual) does not say which side. I assume the wire goes on the positive side, but I'd hate to fry the control because I guessed wrong about the polarity. Can anyone take a look at their car or a good wiring diagram and let me know.

Thanks for your help, I would never have bought this car if this forum wasn't here to support me.

Actually, I think it goes on the negative side, between the points and the coil. It is points, isn't it?

No points on an '84, m'friend. But you were half-right.

Welcome, Greybeard

The yellow wire(there's actually 2 of them),

goes on the negative terminal of the coil.

Edited by Greenley

Well Bratman18, my computer went down a few weeks ago and I lost all my Brat pictures. They were taken by the former owner for advertisment. I bought the Brat the next day but haven't taken any pictures to replace them yet. No good reason, but it doesn't look very good right now. No rust but it's been neglected for some time, lots of little dings and faded paint, originally it was a Arizona car. Good interior, spoked wheels, that need paint. Alloy wheels, that look fair, need polished, light bar, that needs paint. See a pattern here? Whole car needs work. When I get a picture of the Brat, I will post all my rides, but only two are Subies, one is a '81 Triumph TR8.