Ultimate Subaru Message Board

93 impreza 193k miles what to look out for?

Looking at a 93 impreza wagon awd mt with 193k on it.

Body and interior clean claims to run and drive well.

Says that it has a 1.8, is this right? Which 1.8 would it be? Not the EA82, maybe a 2.2?

What to watch out for on these? I've owned a ton of gl/ loyales, never an impreza. Any info appreciated, Matt.

Looking at a 93 impreza wagon awd mt with 193k on it.

Body and interior clean claims to run and drive well.

Says that it has a 1.8, is this right? Which 1.8 would it be? Not the EA82, maybe a 2.2?

What to watch out for on these? I've owned a ton of gl/ loyales, never an impreza. Any info appreciated, Matt.

it's the ej18. it uses the same heads and timing belt as the ej22 and is almost identical. different pistons of course.

very reliable, but less power. i wish i could put one in my outback, but it's too heavy. gas mileage should be good.

Edited by johnceggleston

I had one... 93 Imp AWD 5 spd...it was a good little car 236K ..ran excellent..dependable...the main reason I sold it was because I prefer wagons..not enough cargo room for my taste with the sedans.

ONly problems I had with mine were bad suspension..and a leaky gas tank. but the rest was fine ..OH!! and had a noisy throw out bearing. The little EJ18 was pretty good on gas and was alittle slack on power...but coming from an EA82 it was an improvement

initially the legacy was only available with the ej22 (i'm sure) and the impreza was only available with the ej18 (i think), US market of course. at some point the ej22 became an option and then standard for the impreza and they quit the ej18 altogether in the us, (but probably not in europe). and then of course the the ej25 was introduced and finally they phased out the ej22, around 2000? maybe.

i wonder if the ej18 with a manual trans would be a good combo for a legacy.

I had an EJ18 powered '94 Impreza sedan I used for a DD and rallycross car. Great gas mileage and fun to drive with the 5MT transmission. With the 16" wheels that came with the car, the car was a "stone." When I installed 14" rims and tires the entire complexion of the car changed; it became a real "runner" and fun to drive.

I personally feel that the EJ18 engine was the most reliable engine (except for the EA81) that Fuji ever made. I'll be doing an EJ18 upgrade on my Brat this year.