Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Subaru won't start after moving a few feet, needs a "good shake"

I have a 2004 outback (70k, 4 cyl), i have this same thing happen twice now, luckily both times in my driveway.

Here is the deal:

I moved the suby a very short distance, from the garage to the street (~20 feet) and shut it right off.

Later on i try to start it but it won't. Battery is good, fuel pomp makes noise when i put the contact on (priming) as usual, but it won't start. The first time it fails to start if makes an odd noise (like it's underwater or something) and then it just cranks but won't start.

First time that happened 16 month ago, had it towed to dealer where it just started, changed the plugs just because. (i remeber the dealer saying "it happens" when moving the car only a few feet ... but not why)

Now today same thing happened, i verified the electrical stuff and all that, tried to start it many time,no go.

Finally remembering that last time it was fixed by a simple moving of the car, i climbed on the bumper and jumped up and down a few time ... and it then started!

Anyway:

*Anybody has this happen ??

* What could it be (i'm thinking bad electrical connection, even though can't find it and pump sounds like it's running) ... or could it be dirt/air in the gas line/filter maybe ?

I'm just worried it might happen somewhere worst than my driveway (ie: camping)

Any ideas ?

Thanks.

Was the funny noise sounding like the starter grinding?? Cause this just happened to my 08 last night. moved it a couple feet on Sat.....went out to go to work last and nothing...beat on the starter..rocked it...nothing.

Went out this morning and with alot of arguing...it started. Calling the dealer in a few.

I've heard of it and had it basically happen to me. I think what can happen is if the car is started cold it's running VERY rich. If you only run it for a few seconds you don't actually burn all the fuel in the cyilnders properly and it just sits there. Then when you go to start it again the added richness of a cold start with remaining fuel from the last start and short run gives you a flooded condition and it won't start. That's why they changed the plugs because the excess fuel could have fowled them somewhat making them not spark as effeciently.

Keith

RallyKeith: i'm pretty sure that's what it is.

What i meant by weird noise, is that it almost started and then sounded like it drowned and then that is it (the first time), times after that nothing, just cranking.

The manual actually says that this might happen and just pumping the gas pedaled a few time and waiting for the pump to prime 2 or 3 times should make it start ... but it's not that easy.

Not sure why moving/shaking the car would fix it though ? maybe it makes the gas fall off the plugs or something.

crash321: no, it always cranked, just wouldn't start (as if there where no fuel or no sparks, though my tank is full)

Bucky92: that's a different type of funny noise you are having ... might be flywheel.

RallyKeith: i'm pretty sure that's what it is.

[...]

The manual actually says that this might happen and just pumping the gas pedaled a few time and waiting for the pump to prime 2 or 3 times should make it start ... but it's not that easy.

If that's actually what's happening, then the 'correct' procedure is to hold the accelerator pedal to the floor while cranking (don't pump it). That will help clear any excess fuel more rapidly, although it will probably still take somewhat more cranking than 'normal' to start. If doing that doesn't help, then there's probably another cause.

If that's actually what's happening, then the 'correct' procedure is to hold the accelerator pedal to the floor while cranking (don't pump it). That will help clear any excess fuel more rapidly, although it will probably still take somewhat more cranking than 'normal' to start. If doing that doesn't help, then there's probably another cause.

I had a ford ranger that was extremely prone to this little oddity.

Figured out it was flooded, and knew just how to start it.

The ol' floor-it trick from the carbureted days still works wonders on the FI engines.

Dave

In my case the 'floor it' trick did not do squat (tried it after i read that in the manual).

Not sure what the deal is, the funny thing is that it happened was 18 month ago and then yesterday, any other time the car starts right away, so i don't think there is a 'real' problem like a bad part.

Both times i had moved a really short distance, so the "fuel flooding" theory sounds right.

However both times it was quite tricky to get back on.

I noticed my 93 wagon L doing this when it was extremely cold like -30C + wind chill. Best thing is let the car idle for atleast 1 minute when it is cold. I am pretty sure it stopped now though after I sprayed IAC(throttle body cleaner) down the IAC valve again.

What it did was it would not want to crank at all. It was like the battery was dead. Then I would wait a second or two and it would start up like normal.

MMMMMMMM I was going to say floor it when you crank it. That tells the computer to not deliver fuel to the cylinders while cranking. Any CEL's? What is the temp when this happens? If it is really cold, It could be that you have a carbon build up situation. It will start up initially, but may not the second time around because it is not getting enough fuel. The carbon acts like a sponge and will not allow the fuel to stay in a gaseous state to cause ignition. This can be a big problem if you drive your car short distances. If you have never had a upper cylinder cleaning (not even sure subaru recommends this) I would do this. I have had this same problem on a Saturn that we own. My wife job is 5 miles away so the car doesn't fully warm up. GM recommends that an upper cylinder carbon cleaning be done. The difference is very noticable and get about 2-3 miles per gallon better. Some have done seafoam but I don't really think it works that well. (that comment may start a controversy) I believe in the service that they actually run the car on the chemical that cleans the engine. Works great and costs around $100. It is expensive but the difference is very noticable.:)