Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Mt. Hood snow run 2-22-09

TeamCF

So Scoobyclimbs and I decided to go roll around the Mt. Hood area and see what the snow has been doing. Check out what can be hit and stuff.

Turns out not a whole lot except forest roads. Trails are still too high up to get to with the crappy cementy icy wet snow. :-\

But.

We still had some fun.

Up on Lolo pass. We almost made it to the top but then the tracks stopped.

and the sinking began. Aired down, turned around, and headed out. Lolo was not our #1 area to check out so we didn't push any further.

1Lolo.jpg

Scoobyclimbs went off the track and got stuck...

2lolo.jpg

Headed out around Hood River and found a small climb.

3HR.jpg

4HR.jpg

Took my turn and got a pic from the top. Looked nastier in person... Kinda suprised I didn't need a run at it as slick as it was. Just a 1st-lo climb.

5HR.jpg

Parked on the top for a break and quick plan making.

6HR.jpg

Taking the back way to Mosier (I think I may have spelled that right) on powerline trails.

Ended up getting kinda sketchy and it was getting close to dark so even aired down to 10psi we decided to just back out and head back.

7HR.jpg

Not as much trail action (we hit up one short one at the bottom of Lolo) as I would have liked but still good times. Was just nice to get out.

I had never tried airing down for snow before (always knew about it but always just saved it for the sand) and it proved to really make a huge difference. Scoobyclimbs had gotten a little stuck at one point while aired down to 15psi, he went down to 10psi and just drove right out.

Shoulda gave it a shot years ago. But only since going to Sand Lake alot have I started carrying a "real" compressor. (big hand pump before :rolleyes: )

So stuff like airing down was a bit of a hassle before.

Yeah that was one thing I noticed right away the first time I took it out in the snow after putting in the welded rear. It's a bit twitchy.

And backing up, keeping it where you want, can be a pain at times.

I'm used to it and hardly even notice anymore. Driven on nasty ice several times with no incedent, just had to get the feel for it.

Greg had a moment though when he was backing up that it guided him wrong. I think he's got the hang of it now though.

We had a few roads that we got a ways down, found we could not go further and could not turn around so we had to back all the way back out. Lots of practice. :lol:

Nice!

How's G. like his new hatch?

Ooh wait, I'll ask him myself next week ;)

I'm psyched to check it out too!

Will you be around tue, wed, or thur next week for some mid-day fun?

It'd be cool to meet another USMBer in person.

-mark-

Edited by superu
typo

Nice!

How's G. like his new hatch?

Ooh wait, I'll ask him myself next week ;)

I'm psyched to check it out too!

Will you be around tue, wed, or thur next week for some mid-day fun?

It'd be cool to meet another USMBer in person.

-mark-

I could possibly take a day off or something for some Soobin'. :)

Have Greg let me know what's up.

Man, I got to get my hatch up in the hills real soon. I just need to find a few guys to go with. The most I've done with it since it's been finished is the mud pit at WCSS10 & the big snow we got here in Portland. I am going to do a rally cross event next month with Matt, but I need to get up in the mountains next month too.