Ultimate Subaru Message Board

So I've checked the coolant on my 08 impreza twice since I got it in Nov. Both times its been low. The first time it was right at the low mark on the reservoir, so I filled it up to the full mark with official OEM subaru coolant. It didn't really take much if I'm remembering right. Then a couple thousand miles later I checked it again and I noticed it down a little from where I filled it up to. I'm not talking very much, maybe 6-8 oz of coolant to bring it back to the top mark. The coolant looks fine and smells fine (not oily) and the oil is clean as well. I doubt it would have headgasket problems this early (17k). But what else could it be? I never see any drops or anything. Anyone else with a newer Roo have this problem?

Internally in a Phase 2? Doubtful...

Like was said before check the rad and make sure it's topped off because it's far more important. Also being that it's so early in the game I'd say if you do have a leak it's not a headgasket. Be sure to check under your car and sniff the engine bay for anything sweet.

If your truely concerned..as mentioned...take it to the dealer....its still under warranty...however Personally I wouldnt be concerned especially if its only 6-8 oz.. the coolant level is going to fluctuate...depending on drive cycle times, temperature of engine...etc etc....im assuming you checked the level on flat ground with the engine at the same temperature both times....Obviously make sure the surge tank(if its a WRX) and radiator are full...Is your temp gauge normal?...I have only seen 1 subaru post 2004 with head gasket problems and that was an 05 outback...Its possible, but i highly doubt you have a HG problem....Also if you do take it to the dealer...recommend they do a combustion leak test...if you suspect coolant jacket HG leakage...

Edited by EVOthis

Highly unlikely Subaru will do anything about it. But nice to document it I guess just in case.

Subaru will call that amount "normal" and with no overheating or signs of loss anywhere they won't want to put any time in it. There's nothing for them to find, some tend to loose more than others for some reason.

Are you sure you were reading the tank correctly? the "LOW" mark only really means low when the engine is hot. If its cold and you fill the tank to the full line, it will be overfilled when hot and that fluid will flow out the vent hole in the tank cap.

I'm certain I checked the level properly and when the car was "hot." It has no temp gauge but the idiot light has never come on. Both times I checked the level I then later took the cap off to check that the actual radiator was full, it was....I guess I'll just keep on eye on it and maybe try and take a look every fill-up or something. Besides this the car runs perfectly and has had no problems, except that I need to keep close track of how fast I'm going otherwise I will get speeding tickets. This thing is a rocketship compared to my old 84 4wd wagon.

due to cold wheather i was losing some coolant from the lower hose, and it happen just when the engine was really cold so it would leak a few drops for about 2 min.

if you look close sometimes is really easy to solve a problem

I agree, why wouldn't it have a temp gauge!!! Let's see some pics

HOLY CRAP!

I just looked on ebay, and hes right!

No coolant temp gauge.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Cars-Trucks___08-SPORT-AWD-4X4-HATCHBACK_W0QQitemZ200315342801QQddnZCarsQ20Q26Q20TrucksQQddiZ2282QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_Cars_Trucks?hash=item200315342801&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245&_trkparms=65%3A-2%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

Thats unacceptable on any car and a deal killer for me personally.

Go out and get a temp gauge, especially on a subaru.

nipper

It is true no temp gauge....I bought the "stripped down" impreza that still has power windows, AC, CD player, cargo cover, power mirrors and cruise control. I guess most cars just come standard with this stuff now? Talking to the dealer they made it sound like the base impreza was a piece of crap with no options and I shouldn't waste my time driving it.... I drove it and didn't really care that it didn't have the 6 disc changer or 10 speakers since I will probably upgrade this on my own in the future. Also compared to my 84 wagon it had so many features I just didn't even know what to do. The stereo in the 84 was a boombox plugged into the cigarette lighter. :eek:

It took me a couple of days to quit trying to look for the temp. gauge every few minutes like I did on the old car. Now I don't even really notice it. I agree though, at some point I should probably add a temp gauge but I don't want to make the thing look like some import racer.

It is true no temp gauge....I bought the "stripped down" impreza that still has power windows, AC, CD player, cargo cover, power mirrors and cruise control. I guess most cars just come standard with this stuff now? Talking to the dealer they made it sound like the base impreza was a piece of crap with no options and I shouldn't waste my time driving it.... I drove it and didn't really care that it didn't have the 6 disc changer or 10 speakers since I will probably upgrade this on my own in the future. Also compared to my 84 wagon it had so many features I just didn't even know what to do. The stereo in the 84 was a boombox plugged into the cigarette lighter. :eek:

It took me a couple of days to quit trying to look for the temp. gauge every few minutes like I did on the old car. Now I don't even really notice it. I agree though, at some point I should probably add a temp gauge but I don't want to make the thing look like some import racer.

Personally i feel every car made should have a temp gauge, as it allows you to try to stop things before they go terribly wrong.

Get a gauge, dont worry about how it looks, and there are lots of options out there so you can find one that fits you.

nipper

Its got a temp light. Its blue when its cold to remind you not to flog it and red when its too hot. I believe the car will also throw a CEL and shut the cruise off when the engine temp goes out of a certain range but I haven't had time to verify this yet in the manuals. The Cruise shut off is actually a godsend as that is very noticeable when you are driving down the road and the car kicks it off.

Likely a defective radiator cap. Lots of these are bad as the manufacturer of the caps put a crappy spring in some of them. Make an appointment and take it to the dealer. They can put a cooling system pressure tester on the cap and the engine to verify this.

90 percent of people don't look at the gauges anyway. :(