Ultimate Subaru Message Board

If you had your choice, Legacy GT 2.5 or 2.2

So I'm going to be selling my 96 Legacy GT wagon in a month or two. It currently has a 2.2 swapped into it, but that was done mainly for time reasons. I've got a perfectly good 2.5 with lower miles (80k) and fresh head gaskets that I can put into it. If you were buying, which would you rather have and which would you pay more for?

Keith

Keith,

I'd buy the EJ22 if it's a full price vehicle. Wait, how much do you want for it, I know a girl that needs a car right now. PM/email me with pictures and price.

If you have time, list the car for awhile as-is and see what happens. If you get what you want out of it then you saved yourself a buttload of time.

Keep in the mind the EJ25 is worth more than the EJ22. Might be able to get $500-$1000 for it, particularly with the headgaskets.

Personally I'd advertise it as a more reliable engine with fewer head gasket, piston slap, and bottom end failures. You can even print out all the EJ25 webpages and info.

It's fairly easy to sell a more reliable vehicle in my experience. It only takes one person who just wants a reliable, nice looking car and doesn't care about 20-30 hp. Not hard to find at all and saves you an engine swap. I sell mine quick usually, it's not hard to find that person that wants new timing belts, the whole 9 yards, etc.

Some one buying a 13 year old car, I gotta think is more interested in how well the motor runs, car drives, and car condition, rather than what size motor is in the car.

Advertise "as is," and that the motor has been replaced with a newer one, with fewer miles, if that is the case, and that it will pass state emission tests.

If the car is decent, it should sell easily.