Ultimate Subaru Message Board

rule of thumb for cutting springs?

Im about to pull the front suspension again to cut the springs down. I have EA81 turbo front springs and they actually lifted the front of my car up a bit (kinda sitting like a 4wd now). Anyways how much do i cut or do i ballpark it and hope im close? I want about an 1 to 2 inches of gap between the fender and the tire (do not want to tuck tire like a vw). Right now i have about 4-5 inches..no joke. Ive heard the most i should cut off is one full coil before ride quality is ruined. Is this true?

when you shorten the spring you effectively raise the spring rate so it will be stiffer. which unless you have new struts its gonna ride like a honda, all bouncy and such.

ive done it to drop the car for a week or so so i can see how the springs i ordered would sit, only as a temporary thing.

on my old 94 honda del sol i cut about 3 rings out of it before i got it to sit where i wanted and it still rides fine stiff(but i prefer it stiffer) as far as how much to cut it id start with one or even 1/2 of one ring and keep with the trial and error. it'll take a while but being free usualy takes that extra time. in my opinion just buying some coils is the way to go. you run into many different things when you cut them

Not that i know of to the xt strut question. I have brand new KYB GR2 struts so the struts should be fine. As far as stiff rides im fine with it being a bit stiffer than it is now. I just cant stand the front end up in the air look it has right now.

with the 4WD springs, it dropped mine about 35-40 mm, just make sure the spring seats line up on the caps, and that there are no sharpedges, and she'll be alright, and yeah, its quite a bit stiffer! if you running standard wheels and tyres, it will ride with a bit of firmness, but if you have lows on like mine, it gets really harsh, i does feel alot more firm! and those potholes, u cringe alot more!

actually the entire strut sans strut cap will fit.just change out the strut cap and away you go.xt6, whole other talk show..........cheers, brian

not following you, leave the cap out or use a different one? and how much drop are you talking about?

I assume you're talking about the big rubber hockey puck that sits on top of the strut and is visible through the tower hole under the hood.

with the 4WD springs, it dropped mine about 35-40 mm, just make sure the spring seats line up on the caps, and that there are no sharpedges, and she'll be alright, and yeah, its quite a bit stiffer! if you running standard wheels and tyres, it will ride with a bit of firmness, but if you have lows on like mine, it gets really harsh, i does feel alot more firm! and those potholes, u cringe alot more!

Yea everyone said it was going to lower it a bit but mine raised it up. I made sure the springs were fully seated where they needed to be. I dont get it.

yeah, the 4WD ones i imagine will be stiffer than 2WD and the turbo ones stiffer than 4WD's, its just the spring rate is up alot more a guess, and the wear of softer springs is more visable, just cut a ring off, and im sure that'll have you sorted, or cut loads off :P i wanna see me some lowerage!

You did sit the two springs, 2wd and turbo, side by side before installing them, right? These cars and parts are old and unique enough that any mods need to be done on a car-by-car basis to ensure consistent results.

As for cutting the springs; do 1/4 to 1/2 a coil at a time. OR you could just find the equation used to determine spring rates, calculate the old rates, subtract the number of coils you plan on cutting out. Recalculate the spring rates and make sure they are close enough to run comfortably.

Screw it, here you go: http://www.engineersedge.com/spring_comp_calc.htm

You did sit the two springs, 2wd and turbo, side by side before installing them, right? These cars and parts are old and unique enough that any mods need to be done on a car-by-car basis to ensure consistent results.

As for cutting the springs; do 1/4 to 1/2 a coil at a time. OR you could just find the equation used to determine spring rates, calculate the old rates, subtract the number of coils you plan on cutting out. Recalculate the spring rates and make sure they are close enough to run comfortably.

Screw it, here you go: http://www.engineersedge.com/spring_comp_calc.htm

Sweet!!! And yes i did put them both side by side and the turbo springs were ever so slightly taller. I didnt think much of it until i had put it all back together.