Ultimate Subaru Message Board

my sickness has worsened, or, a new acquisition

well, I was wandering through our local pick-n-pull looking for engine pieces for my '91 Legacy, when down the row I catch a glimpse of an EA81 front end sticking out. I walked down towards it and it turns out it's a 1984 GL-10 Hardtop Coupe. I asked the guy managing the yard if I could buy the whole car straight out, and he said that the yard owner doesn't like to do that. The state of Utah makes it kind of dificult to re-register a car that's been in the wrecking yard.

So after some prying, pulling, arm-twisting, begging, and talking directly to the Motor Vehicle department, I got the guy to budge and let it go. It's not totally mine yet (waiting for the paperwork to go through before it leaves his lot), but I got it off of the main yard so it won't be picked over anymore.

Here she is next to my 1984 Brat and my 2005 Daughter (also a Brat)

100_0129.jpg

Interior. This thing is loaded (well, it is a GL-10).

100_0111.jpg

the bad: whether it happened before or after it showed up at the wrecking yard, there's a impact to the left rocker.

100_0110.jpg

To anyone who has replaced a rocker panel: do you just chop-saw it open and start welding, or cut the spot welds and peel the panels apart to avoid damage to the brake and fuel lines?

here you go. That's the best I've got right now, I can post a better one once I take posession of the car. Unfortunately sometime in its life the radio has been smashed in, so I'll be looking for a replacement for the top portion of it at some point. Anyone got one sitting around?

100_0111b.jpg

~Erik~

Well I believe that's a slant radio console. But the rocker, you just cut them open and weld new stuff in. Make sure it's jacked up evenly so the body won't be tweaked at all. But you don't have to drill any spot welds, just cut out and weld new in. I did both mine on my Brat

Good looking score! If you decide not to fix it or whatever, there are a few parts I'd like for my T-Hardtop (Seats, door panels, etc).

I also have a digital radio like the one your hardtop has, if you're still interested.

as it stands, I'm definately going to put her back on the road, so I'm afraid I'm going to have to deny you the parts for the time being. I figure it's still in good enough shape it would be a shame to part out or let it get crushed.

As for the radio, for what would you be willing to part with it for?

But the rocker, you just cut them open and weld new stuff in. ... But you don't have to drill any spot welds, just cut out and weld new in...

Did you use rockers cut from another Subaru or just get some sheet steel the right gauge and bend it to fit? Either way it will need paint, but I just don't know how complex those curves are in that area.

~Erik~

it's not really "the" slant radio console. notice that the radio console and the shifter surround console are one piece. That's how the FWD cars' consoles were. The 4WD consoles were 2pc, probably so they could be 4WD 4sp or 4WD 3AT and use the same radio console... why that was important I don't know.

good luck with the car!

Really Nice and Not Common Subie! ... :) ... I Like it and is Nice to know that you Saved it ... Now it will be in Good Hands.

To Fix the Rocker Panel Smash, you can Carefully Cut it Horizontally, just to "Open" it, Following its Design; (Cutting Without Removing the Metal, just "Opening" like a Sardines` Can) Check the Fuel Lines, Electrical Wiring, Brake Lines... etc...

After Checking and when You`re Sure that Everything inside is Fine, The Opened Metal can Easily be Twisted to -close to- its Original Position... The Hardest Thing is to Weld it without Damaging the said Lines & Wires...

I Have done that once long time Ago... I Used Very Wet Newspaper all Around and used some Tiny Metal Sheet as Shield, then Carefully Welded Around, Step by Step (Allowing it to Cool Down, Helping it with fresh Water in Li`l Amounts) using Gas Welder (Not Electric) and Finally some Hammer Hits, Sandpaper, and Filler... Properly Prepared for Paint... it Looked Nice after the job was Done and That car is Still Runnin` Nice!

Hope that idea could Help you.

Kind Regards.

Make me an offer on the stereo. I actually think I have it in a box already, just need to visit my parent's house to grab it.

If possible, I would suggest looking for a clean donor rocker panel in the JY and cutting out the bent pieces, replacing the entire damaged area. I've yet to do this myself, so it is purely speculation on my part.

The digi-dash bridge I HAVE crossed, so if you have any questions there I'd be more than happy to help.

an odd update:

two days ago I'm driving down to the DMV to get the title worked out, and from the freeway I catch a glimpse of a car from the corner of my eye. I think to myself "could that have been another silver EA81 GL coupe?" So yesterday I was taking the same trip (lots of hoops to jump through to get a junkyard car re-titled) and I brought my camera. I pulled over to the side of the freeway, zoomed the camera all the way (5x) and snapped this:

100_0137.jpg

ok, just to assure you, this car is about 4 miles away from my newly-purchased GL-10, and is sitting in a storage yard for (I think) a totally different wrecking or salvage yard of some sort.

What are the chances of running into two silver EA81 GL-10 hardtop coupes? I'm thinking GL10 because it's got the same wheels (same as my Brat too...creepy), and the sunroof that I can see, and appears to have black trim, as the GL-10's were equipped with.

I'm going to go check it out ASAP...go poke around and see what the deal with it is.

That one has a different wheel on the Right rear corner than the Right front.

The one at WCSS belongs to RichieRich and is a premium condition one at that. Im not sure his was a black out one but I think it was awesome all the same.

The ones with the "black out package" are an 84 model year only and tend to have a premium package with these special options:

Front and rear bumpers are black

Front and rear window moldings are black

Drip rail moldings in black

Shoulder line moldings in black

Body door ding guards are black

Door handles---u guessed it are BLACK

Trim around the taillight assy's black

fuel filler lid black

6 speaker radio with electronic tuning...these cars typically had 4 speakers, 2 in the dash like all the other ea81's and then two in the rear window decklid. On this special model they added 2 more to the doors.

They carpet kit for this car is also thicker.

Only 3 colors of paint exterior were made of this package they were black, dark grey metallic and silver metallic.

All of the interiors were grey interior with the "Moquette seats", door panels, sunvisors, headliner.

The rear seat has an extra special armrest in the center that folds down.

Most of these also had a luggage rack on the black that was blacked out too.

Enjoy that car its my opinion that you grabbed one that is worth restoring or at least parting out and putting all the interior goodies into another one.

Ill buy the lower door panels and the speakers and speaker brackets from the doors if you end up parting it out. :)