Ultimate Subaru Message Board

afriend of mne called today asked me if i wanted to buy a 95 legacy l awd a/t 238,000mi ,but will not go into reverse + weak battery, 700 obf , not seen it yet but thinking about the tranny issue, any opions ??

the trans is on the way out. plan on replacing it.

i had a 95 w/ 160k mmiles, the rear output seal in the trans blew and spilled most of the fluid. i paid a shop to replace the seal. later that evening reverse went. turns out the shop failed to add any fluid. i added 3+ qts. i drove it 3 or 4 months with no reverse, the forward gears worked ok. i finally bought a wrecked 96 w/ 125k for $400 and swapped trans.

what ever caused reverse to go in yours may be stopped but it may attack another gear. 700$ sounds high to me.

Good lord, you guys have cheap prices out there.

If the car was in good shape, i'd buy it for 700. What's a tranny? $400 and an afternoon?

Sounds worth it to me.

Also, this may be dumb question, but does it truely not ENGAGE reverse? or is it a matter of "won't SHIFT into Reverse" I.E. shifter lockout? They eliminated the easy access overide button(it's undert the cover). So the owner may just be stumped.

If you go to the right place ..you can pick up trannys here for as little as $45 ( if the U Pull It has them on sale...normally they are around $75) If you want a tested good one with a short warranty ..I know someone who got one for around $200

If you go to the right place ..you can pick up trannys here for as little as $45 ( if the U Pull It has them on sale...normally they are around $75) If you want a tested good one with a short warranty ..I know someone who got one for around $200

wow, just wow.

A warrantied, good subaru trans out here is AT LEAST $300, up to $500+ for low milage/newer models('99+ external filter 4eat)

I wouldn't ever install a trans for a customer without some warranty. I would be the one screwed if it was no good.

IMO, buying a 14 year old car with a bad trany and 238K miles, is the same as buying a parts car, or a car that is really headed for a wrecking yard. With these thoughts in mind, a wrecking yard would pay only about $200, if that. IMO, I wouldn't pay much more than $200.

I also think you are going to find more things wrong with that car beyond the bad trany, that may cost some serious money. You should be thinking about getting in this car on the cheap, if you are considering fixing it up.