Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Mild lift for 1988 Legacy Wagon

Prindere

I have a '98 Legacy wagon I'd like to gain some ground clearance on. For one, the front end scrapes my steep driveway approach, and two, I'm taking the wagon on a roadtrip through Arizona next month and I expect a few hundred miles of off roading on relatively mild dirt roads.

Can I replace some of the suspension components with the same stuff found on the Legacy Outback model and expect to get the same lift? My shocks/struts are pretty clapped out as is so I don't mind buying new ones. What would it take to use parts from a different model to get the lift I want? (I mean specifically what would I need to buy?).

Next, I've looked at the allied armaments website and I'm wondering if that might be a better route to take (except for the cost, of course!) Has anyone used their lift kit recently on a Legacy wagon and how did it work out? Did you consider it a good value?

Of course, my mind wanders between a mild, easy, and cheap lift VS all the potential fun that a more extensive lift would offer. Any comments out there?

Thanks,

Gary Gable

Edited by Prindere

I'd do the strut lift first. It is cheap and easily done in a day. no snags to run into really. It also allows clearance of larger tires right away without different offset rims.

The full block lift will be a compatible compliment in the future.

I know a few of the Outback guys on other forums have put Forrester struts and springs into their Outbacks giving them a mild lift over stock and Nipper on here has the AA kit on his Outback. I personally am looking at getting some King Springs to lift my Outback so I can have a little more fun.

King Spring lift-

LOBscorpionsprings2inchlift.jpg

AA lift-

LOBAALifted.jpg

Forrester lift-

LOBForresterlift.jpg

Thank you both for your input. I'm leaning toward the strut replacement route as a first step. So if I understand you both right, if I were to buy Struts that are stock on the same year Forrester they will essential bolt into place? Should I also get the Forrester springs, or can I re-use my stock Legacy springs on the Forrester struts?

And further, I've read a few other things about those Kings Springs from Australia; If I were to find a set in the USA (does anyone know any sources?) could I then put them on (either) the stock Legacy struts for some lift, and on the Forrester struts for even more lift?

I guess what I'm vague about (beside the question of bolting up the Forrester struts) is how the struts extend the suspension; Is it because the struts are physically longer, or is it because the springs have a higher rate and keep the suspension more extended?

Again, thanks for the input, it's a big help to me.

Gary

Thank you both for your input. I'm leaning toward the strut replacement route as a first step. So if I understand you both right, if I were to buy Struts that are stock on the same year Forrester they will essential bolt into place? Should I also get the Forrester springs, or can I re-use my stock Legacy springs on the Forrester struts?

You could do either. It may be dependant on which tophats you need to use. I would think you're 98 and a Forester would have the same bolt spacing, but one hat may be taller than the other. Use the one that gives max lift.

And further, I've read a few other things about those Kings Springs from Australia; If I were to find a set in the USA (does anyone know any sources?) could I then put them on (either) the stock Legacy struts for some lift, and on the Forrester struts for even more lift?

yup, you could put them right on and get more height, although at some point without crossmember blocks, you may run into overextension issues with the CV. probably be right at the edge of envelope.

I guess what I'm vague about (beside the question of bolting up the Forrester struts) is how the struts extend the suspension; Is it because the struts are physically longer, or is it because the springs have a higher rate and keep the suspension more extended?

strut is longer, spring perch is *higher*

Thanks for this additional information. I'm going to do a little more research here before I pull the trigger on anything. I like the idea about installing Forrester struts (and springs), but apparently there may be some differences due to the fact that my '98 Legacy was manufactured in 11/97 and may be a 2nd generation, not a 3rd generation. I don't know if it's a factor or not, really, but when I inquired to King Spring in Australia they asked this question specifically. I guess somewhere mid-year there is a split and because of that they offer 2 different springs.

Thanks for tolerating my questions. I go way back with VW's and Internationals, but Subaru's are new to me. I like them though!

Gary

Thanks for this additional information. I'm going to do a little more research here before I pull the trigger on anything. I like the idea about installing Forrester struts (and springs), but apparently there may be some differences due to the fact that my '98 Legacy was manufactured in 11/97 and may be a 2nd generation, not a 3rd generation. I don't know if it's a factor or not, really, but when I inquired to King Spring in Australia they asked this question specifically. I guess somewhere mid-year there is a split and because of that they offer 2 different springs.

Thanks for tolerating my questions. I go way back with VW's and Internationals, but Subaru's are new to me. I like them though!

Gary

the split would be 99 to 2000 models for the US.

I am 99% sure the struts are the same for all 96-99 outbacks

Again, thanks for the additional information. As a point of interest, I contacted King Spring in Australia to inquire about springs for the Legacy which would provide the lift I sought. Here's the text of their reply:

[With regard to lift springs for a '98 Legacy (not Outback) Wagon]

"For the rear you can use a KSRS-25 for a 25mm raised coil, but we do not have a front raised coil off the shelf. We can make a raised front coil, but would take approx 10 working days.

We normally do not make a raised coil as per catalogue as there is not allot of suspension droop, i.e. shocks can top out if lifted too much.

Costs are as follows:

Front Coils AUD $ 270.00 per pair

Rear Coils AUD $ 170.00 per pair

FedEx Air (3-7 days) AUD $ 225.00 per (set of 4 coils)

Total del. you is AUD $ 665.00 (set of 4 coils)"

This is about $440 US dollars. These people answered my questions promptly and apparently ship international on a regular basis. Their site is: http://www.kingsprings.com/

Gary

Doing a King spring lift without using OUtback or forrester strut is almost pointless, as you still won't be able to fit a tire much larger than stock on it. The spring perch on the Legacy shocks are too close to the tire.

Using a Forrester or Outback strut will give you 1.5-2.5 inches of lift, and accomodate larger tires (up to 215/75/15, fender trim required) without spending extra money on new springs.

I've gotten full sets of Forrester strut assemblies for $150 from a J-yard.

Yes they will and it will provide a 4 inch lift and one firm ride. Hit up Zap as he's the one I got the info from as he did it to his old 96 OBS.

It isn't really a 4 inch lift. maybe total with bigger tires, but really more like 2.5 inches

• 1 month later...
I know a few of the Outback guys on other forums have put Forrester struts and springs into their Outbacks giving them a mild lift over stock and Nipper on here has the AA kit on his Outback. I personally am looking at getting some King Springs to lift my Outback so I can have a little more fun.

Forrester lift-

LOBForresterlift.jpg

do you know whose car that is? is it just forester struts and springs or is there something else going on under there too.

thanks in advance.

my 95 legacy wagon needs new struts and my wife thinks it is too low as it sits now. not looking for an offroader just more ride height so it is easier to get in and out of since she is having some back problems with a ruptured disk.

plus it looks cool.:brow:

You don't need the springs. Use whatever springs your car already has on it. Forresters/impreza's are a lighter car, so the springs probably have a softer rate than the legacy/outback springs.

Using legacy outback struts and springs lifts a impreza higher for this reason, but the ride is firm.

Order struts for a 1998 legacy outback or forrester. 1996 outbacks are the same height as legacy's. Impreza outback sports are the same height as regular impreza's.

The only problem I have run into so far is putting outback struts into a 1990-94 legacy in the rear. The nut will not tighten down and clamp the strut cap to the rod, so you will get clunking in the rear. I made a spacer so that the nut clamps the strut cap. Not hard to do.

Don't disconnect the brake lines when you swap struts. If you remove the spring clip, you can pull the hose through the strut a bit, then use side cutters to cut open the bracket on the strut. Bend it up, and slip the hose out. Use a hacksaw to cut the brackets on the new struts, carefully bend out the tabs, and slip the hose in. Bend the tabs back, put on the clip and your good to go without dealing with rusted brake lines, bleeder screws, and bleeding the brakes.

Get an allignment after you're done swapping struts.

Order struts for a 1998 legacy outback or forrester. 1996 outbacks are the same height as legacy's. Impreza outback sports are the same height as regular impreza's.

You mean 95. 95 *outbacks* were mearly a trim package. In 96, they actually put the lift on them. 96-99 are all lifted and use the same struts.

The only problem I have run into so far is putting outback struts into a 1990-94 legacy in the rear. The nut will not tighten down and clamp the strut cap to the rod, so you will get clunking in the rear. I made a spacer so that the nut clamps the strut cap. Not hard to do.

I've done 3 conversions onto 1sat gen Legacy's and had no issue with this. No clunking. IDK

i think i am gonna bit the bullet and lift the wagon. got a line on a full set of forester struts for 75 bucks. the guy says they were sloid when he took them off recently. but hell for 75 i am getting 4 struts/springs and top mounts. and they only have to last for at least a year.