Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Weber Question Revisited:

Now that my Legacy is basically done I can get back to my coupe. Here is my issue with the Weber. Choke is seized from the way it feels..yyou can only close the flaps by hand and the whole thing is extremely stiff. You could pump the gas pedal all day it and it will not start. Will only run with starter fluid and then let it idle very rough for a few minutes without touching anything. Once the motor is up to about 100 degrees ..only then can you play with the throttle. It does have the classic accelerator pump failure issue also.

Debating on pulling it and sending it out to be rebuilt again. ( It was just done not too long ago and never driven on it) Now it did run fine after the first motors head gasket repair ..up until it was put on the new motor. Getting very frustrated with it an and am temped to put back on another stock carb.

I Respectfully Suggest you to Do Not Put Back the Stock Craptachi Carb again...

I Suggest you to Take Off the Weber, Remove the Choke Linkage, Clean it Very Deeply and Carefully (always Wear Safety Gogles) with the Best Carb Cleaner Spray you may Obtain, if the Mini Fuel Pump inside Doesn`t Spray Gasoline, Then Change it (is Easier than it Seems) and Before Put it Back to your Subie, Check the Choke...

if Choke is Bad, you may Obtain a Replacement, even the Stock Craptachi`s Resistor Coil Might Work there...

After Reasemble, Check Everything Again Before Reinstall, you Know, Linkage, Pump`s Spray, etc...

It is just Some Sort of Maintenance, I Believe that Just Doin` that, your Subie will Run Like a Champ Again! :)

Kind Regards.

most of the issues that are encountered are linkage issues.

did you tighten the accelerator cable flange to much?are the butterflys clearing the adaptor plate?are the bushings on the shafts worn?

these are all possible.check it out. cheers, brian

Thanks Jerry.. You rock!!. I am going to try the above suggestions in a couple weeks...cause it worked fine before I put it on the new motor..thats what confused me...I had is wonderfully dialed in..started easy and purred like a kitten. Just Confused.:-\