Ultimate Subaru Message Board

An Axle Issue, Help me Make the Call

Hello all. 98 OBW 190K. While removing the most stubborn outer tie rod the wrench slipped and hit the outer boot of the axle and put a pin hole in it, right in one of the folds, middle of the boot. If I extend the boot up or down I can hear air coming out but no grease. What would you guys do. Replace or let it go. Always a snag.

Edited by msmithmmx
Makes more sense now

rtv or superglue gel

take a emery board and lightly scuff the wound first

then alcohol wipe.

then glue

I would trust that a long time actually

This should work well. Just keep an eye on the fix, such as when changing the oil, to see that the "patch" is holding up. It should!

I would use the RTV or "right Stuff" Tthe Krazy glue dries to a hard finish and will crack very quickly. The others will remain soft. My preference is for the Right Stuff as it is very pliable and impervious to oils and solvents. It is about 12.00 for the can at advance, but well worth it. Useful for any seals you need to make as well. It is all I use now.

98 OBW 200K. I completed the 2 month over haul of my front suspension. Wheel bearings, tie rods (in and out), ball joints, strut and springs, 4 new tires and an alignment. I now wish I did the axle's. I have a little noise from the front left (click, click while turning) its not that bad but I can hear it. I do not think they survived the 400lb pneumatic impact gun I used to take the axle nuts off. May have been there all along but drowned out by the loud wheel bearings Looks like another project down the road. I have new found respect for the amount of time it takes to take apart 11 year old suspension parts all rusted together.