Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Wont idle!!!

I have an 85 subaru gl wagon 4wd dual range and it wont idle. i can have it running and drive it but every timne i stop or put in the clutch it just dies, so i have to restart my car unless i time it right with the brake and gas and keep her running. but i think its the carb so im planning on buying a weber. but does anyone have any ideas before i spend money on a new carb? need the help bad. ohh another thing, i can get it to idle if im just starting it and i lightly press the gas it will idle. its like its constantly flooding ro chgoking itself out

Edited by GomerPiles
needed more detail

There's a good chance it's your carb., but you could change your PCV valve and clean the PCV hoses. It can only help, and it's cheap and easy. Get a PCV valve from the dealer, they are much better than aftermarket.~$9

Only when warm? Do you keep the rpms pretty high to keep it running? If you think it is flooding, check to see if it is, but it sounds more like good old fashoned vacuume leak/leaks. See if the carb is loose at the base or in the middle of the carb. You can check the PCV by plugging it temporarily. I do not know the EA82's but the air box alone should'nt be enough to prevent the car from idling. Though it is part of the vacuume system, and yes sealed is best. You could screw with idle speed and mixture but you probably should be checking for vacuume leaks first if you can keep it running.

Edited by ihscout54