Ultimate Subaru Message Board

New (To Me) Subaru...Opinions Wanted.

Hey all,

Just wanted to get a few opinions about my new to me Subaru. But first a little backstory:

I grew up in a 1991 Loyale. Well...Truthfully, I was conceived in a 67 bug, born in a 67 bug, and my first car was the same 67 bug. Yes, it was awkward.

BUT! The best times of my youth was in my Dad's 91 Loyale. White with Blue interior. Many great trips from Mt. Vernon to Colville and back were had. Eating a basket of Cherrys before leaving eastern WA. Having to stop 50 miles later in Rainy Pass to get rid of said Cherrys. Great times, great times.

So when my Mazda3 decided to detonate itself I had to look for a second car. In comes CL with the ominous heading "1991 Subaru Loyale $700". I got excited. I got really excited and couldn't sleep. I begged friends to loan me the $700 to buy it sight unseen. Then I realized I had a bonus check (Well, three checks in one month is a bonus) and actually DID have the $700.

The next day I called the lister as asked the usual questions. Does it leak Oil "Yes" Does it smoke when you start it "No" Does it click when you take corners "Only to the left" Does the 4WD work "Yes" Will you take 500 "Sure". I was there in less than 2 hours (Reno to Fernley around 30 minutesish plus explaining to the boss why I HAD to leave RIGHT THEN).

When I pulled up to the address I watched a White Subaru Loyale pull away. Was I too late? Did someone offer more? I was actually heartbroken. I called the lister and explained that I was at the address provided and was wondering if the car was still available. Imagine my relief when they said they had only moved it two blocks to the North. It was THEM that I saw driving away. I have never driven a borrowed Honda faster than 70 MPH (In a residential zone) in my life. But, by God I hit 80 (with the owner screaming to slow down). In less than 2 minutes I was there. Who knew Fernley had such big blocks.

Needless to say, I got it for 500. 225k on the odo, leaks oil to the tune of a quart per two fill ups (I'm going to guess a quart a month-ish). As advertised, no smoke while driving, clicked when turning Left, but not Right (Going to try to source 4 CV's and change all at once) and the radio only got AM.

So, here is my request for opinions:

To me it looks like the leak is coming from No. 4 cylinder at the valve cover gasket.

Runs like a beast. Pulls in all 5 gears. But takes around a mile or so to get fully up to speed on the freeway (70mph).

The Oil Pressure gauge looks high, as in almost to the top. What type of aftermarket would be best to install just for secondary testing (I want to keep the car as stock as I can...Until I get my 3 back from Mazda. Then it's ON!).

Gas Gauge reads 1/2 tank. Never moved. Even with the key out. Is there a quick how to on cleaning the sensor?

Other than that, I've read up on switching to bosch relays (going to do that next month). Trying to figure out where I want to go with this car (I would LOVE to drop an STI in, but cost is an issue). And I'm really not worried about lifting, or lowering. Like I said, as stock as I can.

Thanks for the opinions (and really, OPINIONS are what I want. No quoting Haynes Manual Page 63 Figure 2.1 with special attention to the left hand lower corner but a little to the right). If you think I made a bad purchase tell me why. If my feelings get hurt I will file a "Butt Hurt Report" and post it for all to see (You'll never see one). But with two kids and snow in Reno, a lowered Mazda3 is CRAP!

Thanks all,

Luke

*Yes, you CAN make Star Wars Jokes. Doesn't mean I haven't heard them before*

**It's pronounced 'Dork' Not 'D-J-Ork' Read up on your pvponline to find out why**

Make sure it doesn't EVER overheat. It'll pop the headgaskets. Go ahead and get a new radiator, radiator hoses and get a thermostat from SUBARU only. Oh yeah, do the water pump too and timing belts while you're in there.

Don't bother with replacing the rear axles, they rarely go bad. It's the front ones that have to deal with all the pulling and turning.

Being that it's a Loyale, it has push button 4wd. You could swap a D/R 5spd in and have MUCHO torque offroad. Or EJ22 it and have a Legacy in disguise.

14" pugs for better tires and handling. There's also 15, but you may have to do some trimming.

I guess where you're at rust isn't much of an issue. Should be a solid and reliable runner for some time. Oh yeah, tint those windows...

Make sure it doesn't EVER overheat. It'll pop the headgaskets. Go ahead and get a new radiator, radiator hoses and get a thermostat from SUBARU only. Oh yeah, do the water pump too and timing belts while you're in there.

Don't bother with replacing the rear axles, they rarely go bad. It's the front ones that have to deal with all the pulling and turning.

Being that it's a Loyale, it has push button 4wd. You could swap a D/R 5spd in and have MUCHO torque offroad. Or EJ22 it and have a Legacy in disguise.

14" pugs for better tires and handling. There's also 15, but you may have to do some trimming.

I guess where you're at rust isn't much of an issue. Should be a solid and reliable runner for some time. Oh yeah, tint those windows...

I'm planning on doing a full gasket change when I get the 3 back from the stealership, but I've heard about overheating and will do my damndest to stay far far away from it.

I'll work on changing out the cooling system. I can afford to do hoses an T-Stat shortly, as the Rad isn't in too bad of shape I'm thinking it can wait. The water pump on the other hand, may have to find one and replace it when I do the hoses.

I'm leaning towards a EJ22. Mainly for a horsepower bump (yes, I'm shallow minded). But that is in the far far far future. Right now I want to make this thing as safe as I can for my commute (2 Blocks, 8 minutes on a bad day) and to take my kids camping this summer (2.5 year old and a 6 week old. Last time we went camping the 3 got High-Sided on a rock...Yes, a rock.).

I'm liking the sound of the 14 pugs. May go trolling the PNP after I get the smog and reg done.

Thanks for the ideas!!!

L

**More** Yeah, there is no Rust that I can see. Checked the floor pans and the wheel wells, nothing. Mostly Dirt and Dust. As for the windows, they came tinted. Just need to get the butterfly sticker off ASAGODANMP! My wife likes it, but she doesn't have a Drivers License so her opinion counts for crap in the butterfly debate. **Luke**

Edited by Dj0rk
Further Response...

If it is rust free, sounds good to me.

When you do the coolant system, make sure you find & replace all 7 hoses.

If the fine fins are fallling out of the radiator, replace it soon. It barely has enough cooling capacity in new condition.

Water pump and timing belts & idlers. Including the cam seals and the orings behind the piece the cam seals are in. Rocker cover seals.

Some of the oil leak may be from the oil passage that feeds oil to the lash adjusters. Unfortunately, the o ring that seals the passage at the headgasket gets hard & leaks. And / or the seal between the head and the cam carrier.