Ultimate Subaru Message Board

a/c problem - oem part mislabeled?

2000 4-cyl OBW. a/c leak. My independent mechanic tells me to get the 'discharge hose' (part # 11 on the internet parts schematic) that runs from the condensor (what sits in front of the radiator) to the compressor. Ordered from 1stSubaruParts in Renton, WA. Part that arrives is the 'suction hose' (part # 10) that runs from the compressor to the evaporator (the part inside the dash). Part number on the Subaru label coincides with the discharge hose, but thats clearly not the part that was sent. Help! Anybody got any ideas?

2000 4-cyl OBW. a/c leak. My independent mechanic tells me to get the 'discharge hose' (part # 11 on the internet parts schematic) that runs from the condensor (what sits in front of the radiator) to the compressor. Ordered from 1stSubaruParts in Renton, WA. Part that arrives is the 'suction hose' (part # 10) that runs from the compressor to the evaporator (the part inside the dash). Part number on the Subaru label coincides with the discharge hose, but thats clearly not the part that was sent. Help! Anybody got any ideas?

I would get on the phone with them. There is something wrong with their online catalog. I ordered a tailgate latch mount plate form tehm, and it explicitly says "This is the part that rusts out", and they sent the handle instead.

Prolly not the first, nor the last that a part has been mislabeled with a wrong number.

If it were me, I would take the new part down to my friendly Subie dealership, and talk to the guy at the parts counter. The parts guys are usually pretty down to earth guys and very helpful. Explain your story, show him your part, and ask him to show you both # 10 & # 11 hoses. If he has both in stock, the differences should be clearly evident between what you have, and what he is showing you as parts # 10 and # 11.

Buy the correct one from the Subie dealer if you own the wrong one, (it can't be much of a price difference vs. internet purchase), then return the wrong one for a refund.

Prolly not the first, nor the last that a part has been mislabeled with a wrong number.

If it were me, I would take the new part down to my friendly Subie dealership, and talk to the guy at the parts counter. The parts guys are usually pretty down to earth guys and very helpful. Explain your story, show him your part, and ask him to show you both # 10 & # 11 hoses. If he has both in stock, the differences should be clearly evident between what you have, and what he is showing you as parts # 10 and # 11.

Buy the correct one from the Subie dealer if you own the wrong one, (it can't be much of a price difference vs. internet purchase), then return the wrong one for a refund.

If they have an a/c hose in stock I would be shocked....that is, if they are anything like my local stealership

Actually, all my local dealers had the part in stock, but the potential savings between one dealer and an internet seller was $70.00. But that savings is rapidly evaporating with shipping charges and time wasted on the computer and on the phone.

Actually, all my local dealers had the part in stock, but the potential savings between one dealer and an internet seller was $70.00. But that savings is rapidly evaporating with shipping charges and time wasted on the computer and on the phone.

That is always a problem that I worry about when buying over the net. The price may be great, but if the product is wrong, or damaged, it is a super hassle to get it straightened out. Sometimes, it is better to buy from a brick and mortar store, where you can get a problem sorted out easily.

• 2 weeks later...

I provided the VIN # and still got the wrong part. There is an error somewhere in the system that correlates the part description with the part number with the item number on the schematic that most if not all of the internet parts vendors use.