Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Looking at Legacy with tow damage...

Hey all.

I've found a 96 Legacy Outback AWD 5 speed that was supposedly towed in reverse on two wheels while in first gear? (Could anyone really be that stupid?)

Anyways, the owner says it has just damaged the 5 speed manual trans, though from what I understand it most likely also fried parts of the AWD, no? I was just wondering what other damage this probably caused.

Thanks in advance,

'97

if i understand you right, either the clutch slipped for the entire tow or the engine turned over backwards. that's if the front wheels were down and it was pulled backwards. also front wheels turning and back wheels not would screw up the viscous coupling, awd unit.

if it was pointing frontwards, it still screwed up the VC, but the engine probably didn't turn over.

so the list of possibly damaged stuff:

VC

clutch

engine bearings?

engine rings?

who on earth would tow a car in gear.?

how far was it towed?

Edited by johnceggleston

if i understand you right, either the clutch slipped for the entire tow or the engine turned over backwards. that's if the front wheels were down and it was pulled backwards. also front wheels turning and back wheels not would screw up the viscous coupling, awd unit.

if it was pointing frontwards, it still screwed up the VC, but the engine probably didn't turn over.

Either way, the thing that would be damaged is the Viscous center diff. It's not like an automatic where the Front wheels are *locked* in drive and the rear get's variable output.

On Manuals the center differential splits power and either front or rear axles can *slip*. The viscous unit is the only thing that prevents it from being just an open diff.

:lol:

So sorry, Im the one looking into this car, my brother was helping me out asking you all about it.

Greatly appreciate your help.

The first post was correct, it is a manual transmission, and she says it was towed in neutral, forward, with back wheels on ground.

So Im assuming, that since it was in neutral, the motor did not turn over so that should be ok, right?

The transmission is shot, and Im assuming the vc unit is messed too.

can someone explain, if the vc center diff is messed up, can that be fixed, or replaced?

THANKS AGAIN,

Matt

My brother was following a flatbed that was towing a subaru awd on the back. The front wheels were on the lift and the back wheels were on the road. It wasn't long before both rear wheels locked up and left 2 long skid marks until the dumba$$ tow truck driver pulled over.

He couldn't believe the driver towed it that way! :eek:

Are you in Maine by any chance?! Maybe this is the same poor suby that he was following?

Edited by Bigbusa

:lol:

The transmission is shot, and Im assuming the vc unit is messed too.

can someone explain, if the vc center diff is messed up, can that be fixed, or replaced?

THANKS AGAIN,

Matt

the vc center diff is replaceable, you can probably do it with the trans in the car. but if the trans is also bad just replace the whole thing and you are good to go. the center diff is the rear most part of the trans.

but the trans itself may not be bad, i don't know what happens when you tow a 5 spd with 2 wheels down and 2 up.