Ultimate Subaru Message Board

how to test if the hub housing is good or bad after bearing failure

i replaced the rear bearing last summer/fall in my 1996 Legacy LSi (FWD). i removed the hub and had a shop press the bearing in.

ironically the sound didn't change at all with the new bearing so i assumed it was something else.

i was wrong, on a 2,000 mile road trip this week the bearing failed. i love crazy friends that swap me cars 600 miles from home!

i suppose i just need to replace the entire hub but i'm wondering why it failed? the ID of the hubs get warped?

is there a way to know next time if the hub is good or bad?

Edited by grossgary

I think this blurb is often what gets missed:

"Always insure that the new bearing is properly packed with suitable wheel bearing grease. The grease the bearing is shipped with is not sufficient."

Yes, the packing grease is applied to prevent corrosion only.

The bearing was making noise when I got the car. I guess my question is, can you check or test the hub in anyway to make sure it doesn't happen with new bearings?

The new bearings I installed last summer lasted 15,000 miles. They failed about 1,500 miles into a 2,000 mile road trip. 4 passengers and luggage filled trunk - probably 700-800 pounds. Wonder if that caused it or they were just ready to go anyway.

I guess for future reference if anyone sees this thread, don't go on a long road trip with bad bearings!

The nice part of the story is that a good friend lives about 30 miles from where they got really bad. He met me on the highway and swapped me cars, I got his pimp 5 speed BMW wagon!