Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Are crank thrust surfaces supposed to be ground when oversized bearings used?

I had a crank ground .010 under on the mains and con rods. Went to put it together and the center thrust bearing doesn't fit into the crank.

Should the machine shop have ground the thrust bearings surfaces the same amount as the radial bearing surfaces, or are my bearings suspect.

I had a crank ground .010 under on the mains and con rods. Went to put it together and the center thrust bearing doesn't fit into the crank.

Should the machine shop have ground the thrust bearings surfaces the same amount as the radial bearing surfaces, or are my bearings suspect.

Just take the bearing and the crank back to him and have him match the two .

I wouldn't htink the thrust faces would need changed, but......... yeah have em matched and go with it.

Other than checking the clearence between crank/bearing on the thrust bearing, I don't recall ever having an issue with one not fitting the crank, so I can't say if it's a "do this too" thing when re-grinding a crank.

I have had one or two bearings in the "kit" be the wrong ones when I did the Plasti-gage thing to check bearing/journal clearence. One engine I can recall like it was yesterday, the Plasti-gage spread out to near 1/2" wide. WUT!!!! Something wrong there... They had a journel bearing for a 30 under set in the 10 under set. Not good!

But yeah, take crank and bearing(s) back to the shop. They should fix it for no charge as it was their muckup..... Be it wrong bearing in kit, or improper machining job.....

Not if they didn`t supply the bearings or have them available for checking.

I would expect another charge.

My understanding is that some main bearing sets for undersized cranks include thicker thrust surfaces and some don`t.Thicker ones require machining the thrust surface.

IIRC,thrust surface wasn`t machined on the one I did,but I might be wrong.