Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My wife's '93 Impreza with an automatic, has an apparent delay in the shifting.

The tach gets way up in the 3500 range from a dead stop before it shifts.

I've told her to take it easy starting from a dead stop in order to prevent any damage.

What could be causing the problem.

The car isn't modified and has the 1.8 engine with 133,000 on the odometer. She's the third owner of the car. The tranny fluid looks good and it is up to the full mark. Fluid was changed by second owenr at 100,000.

AWD or FWD?

if it's AWD - do all the tires match in brand, tread depth and size? if one is warn more than the others that can cause this problem. i've seen new sets of tires cause erratic shifting to go away on older 4EAT's. of course that's an expensive guess, so let us know what they look like there's other things it could be.

does the Transmission (ATF, Trans, Temp) light flash 16 times on start up? If it does you need to get the code read, most likely by a shop and let us know what code you're getting.

you're positive the transmission fluid was flushed or changed complete? some folks aren't very familiar with cars and mix up wording and details, they may have *thought* ATF was changed?

and was it flushed or just drained and filled once? a drain and fill only gets 30% of the fluid out, which leaves mostly old stuff in there.

Thanks for the info!

Hers is AWD

The trans light dosen't blink..

I think it could be the tires.

She recently got two new back tires..so uneven tread depth sounds like the problem.

It is one really weird feeling!

I had a 91 Legacy wagon with AWD and never had this kind of trouble even when the rear tires were one brand and the fronts another..

Oh well..