Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Odd coolant leakage

89 GL Turbo, new radiator and flushed system-

I keep having an issue with the cooling system. Not overheating, not even moving up on the gauge really. It's just that when I get on it a bit, it starts dumping coolant somewhere on the top of the engine, and it's not very visible. I did replace the upper coolant hose to the turbo, and I am sure that's not leaking. It doesn't seem to be coming from the thermostat housing, or the intake either. Is there something else I am missing?

FWIW- Getting on it is briskly accelerating from ~35 to ~75, flat road.

Also, is it as much of a PITA as it looks to change that lower coolant hose on the turbo?

I don't know if this applies to you, but underneath the spare tire, om the driver's

side, between the heater core and the engine block are a pair of hoses.

I had one burst and I had coolant all over my engine.

That might be what you're looking for.

You may have the turbo in the way as well, I'm not sure, never seen a turbo

EA82 before. :-\

Twitch.

Frank B nailed it. The one on the right side split right at the lower clamp. That was probably the biggest pain of anything I have dealt with on this car so far, mostly due to low blood sugar and dehydration. That and all the plastic PCV lines breaking.

The heater hoses are on the left, and are quite new, the radiator hoses are new, the upper turbo hose is new, and the lower ones looks fairly recently replaced. This throttle body hose seemed to be the last one left to blow.

Well, there's a few ways to reduce the heat in the turbo. You could wrap it in header wrap, the fiberglass heat insulating material, they sell that in a blanket form for turbos. You could plumb a heater core in the coolant hose to the turbo, effectively reducing the coolant temp before it reaches the turbo, and maybe one after the turbo to reduce the amount of heat dumping into the cylinder head. And simply increasing the flow of the exhaust after the turbo will let the exhaust flow through it and reduce saturation time.