Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My 1997 Subaru Legacy Outback has a problem with the rear tires wearing badly on the inside. I took it to a non-Subaru dealer with a computerized alignment machine. They told me the rear wheels could not be brought into spec. I needed an aftermarket kit that was not available from a dealer. I called my old dealer and he told me that was not true, just soak and loosen the bolts and it can be adjusted.

Who is telling the truth and or what is this kit I need?

In the meantime this is costing me a fortune in new tires.

Thanks

I know when I got a front end alighment on my Impreza they told me that they couldn't adjust the caster and told me I needed an aftermarket bolt with a lobe on one side to adjust it. He didn't know Subarus came with that from the factory and when I told him he was very suprised. I'm sure somebody will chime in as to whether or not the rear end has the lobed bolt from the factory or not...

I don't believe the rear have an adjustable bolt.

You can get alittle adjusment out of it simply by pushing inward/pulling outward as you tighten the bolts.

My concern if the rear end is out that far, would be are the struts holding true? or do they have an inward bow?

Rear has an adjustable bolt just like the front, I'm certain.

I don't believe the rear have an adjustable bolt.

You can get alittle adjusment out of it simply by pushing inward/pulling outward as you tighten the bolts.

My concern if the rear end is out that far, would be are the struts holding true? or do they have an inward bow?

Whether camber's adjustable or not, that's not the issue. Negative camber won't wear out the insides. That's most likely a toe problem (though perhaps combined with extra negative camber). Could also be bushings and/or struts that are allowing excessive toe changes as the car runs down the road.

As a mechanic who has worked on a few Subaru suspensions, I know that if the camber is out (and its very common up here with our rough roads) the inside of the tires will wear. But, as has been mentioned, check for worn bushings, struts, or other parts first.

For the bolts, in our road-salt area, the bolts are a PAIN to get loose on Subarus!!! Usually heat is required. I have seen a few come with adjustable bolts in the rear, but I think they have been aftermarket replacements. Most just have straight bolts. You can buy the cam bolts, but I don't like them because in order to make the cam, the bolt has to have a very small diameter- making them weak. And as I mentioned, our roads are very rough. I prefer to use a die grinder and slot the strut holes to make them adjustable, then set the camber.

This has always worked for me, and one of our best customers has a postal route and uses his old Legacy wagon for a route with over 400 stops, on very rough roads. The car is approaching 240k miles and still going strong. He has broken several rear springs though, with the load of the mail.

Jim (the new guy)