Ultimate Subaru Message Board

How to change fuel filter? 99OBW

99 obw.

I need to change the fuel filter. Any advice? I know where it is. It looks easy to replace. Is it a simple as removing and replacing? Is this system under pressure all the time? If so, how do I relieve the pressure to avoid getting fuel all over when I disconnect it?

Also, I'm getting a timing belt change next week, the shop that's doing it mistakenly thought I wanted a quote on changing all the hoses, too. I didn't think about it at the time, but should I do it? It's been 180,000+ miles and I've never had a hose replaced. They quoted about $300 for all of them including the serpentine belt(s).

Thanks for any and all advice.

wear safety glasses when changing fuel filter, pull it outside it will loose alittle gas [ smell garage up] make sure you put it the right way on, real easy, i always spray ailttle pb blaster on the fittings to loosen the hoses, will be fairly tight ,if you use pliers be careful not to put a hole in the line,as far as the belts i would

After you undo the clamps sometimes a pic and PB blaster helps.

What halps an awful lot is hose pliers - come in a set. Harbor frieght has a cheap set of 3. Sunnex(sp?) has a better set that are more angled but IIR they are like 60 bucks and the haror freight ones (with less angle) were under 20 - maybe 15 bucks.

Disconnect the hoses before unbolting the filter. There is a rubber gasket between the holder and filter is it hasn't deteriorated too badly.

Simple quick job. Since it's under pressure I lay a rag over the hose before pulling it apart. It will spill gas and smell no matter what so as has already been suggested do it outside.

Also yes I would consider changing all the hoses at this time as well for reliability. If they are the original hoses they are at least 10 years old at this point. And that bodes well for genuine Subaru hoses, they are top quality epdm rubber, and are not any more expensive than aftermarket ones if you get them from the right dealers. This would include upper and lower radiator hoses, heater hoses, coolant bypass hose, and there are a couple going through to/from the iacv and throttle body.