Ultimate Subaru Message Board

If you replaced all the seals it probably still has air in the system. Did you follow the FSM when bleeding the system? A year and model will be very important in diagnosing your problem.

The XT6 does take special fluid unless you drain the entire system and start fresh. Then you can use ATF/power steering fluid from what I have heard.

Edited by Qman

If you replaced all the seals it probably still has air in the system. Did you follow the FSM when bleeding the system? A year and model will be very important in diagnosing your problem.

The XT6 does take special fluid unless you drain the entire system and start fresh. Then you can use ATF/power steering fluid from what I have heard.

Doesn't it bleed itself? I know last time I filled the fluid I thought it was full, started it and it was low, ended up needing like 1L. Takes a while to seep sometimes.

Doesn't it bleed itself? I know last time I filled the fluid I thought it was full, started it and it was low, ended up needing like 1L. Takes a while to seep sometimes.

It does over time. But there is a procedure for it. Once i get his info I will see if I can find relevant information.

When I did mine('96 Impreza) I lifted the front with a floor jack to get the wheels off the ground. Filled the system with PS fluid. Let it run then went full lock left then right a few times. Rechecked the fluid level and did it again. I believe the key is to take the load off the wheels and the pump by lifting it off of the ground. Try that and I will check the actual procedure and get back to you.

...Filled the system with PS fluid...

is it okay to use p/s fluid in these cars? is it compatible with atf? all the subaru stuff i've seen says to use atf.

not trying to call you out, qman. i've been wondering cuz the p/o mixed atf and p/s fluid in my wife's 97 OBS. i'm sure mixing it isn't good, i just need to know if i need to flush it before replacing the fluid. i only noticed cuz the return line leaks badly so i'm replacing fluid either way.