Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I never thought I would ever do it...but I own my neices 96 legacy which has a 2.2 with 165k. I have a chance to buy a 98 OB wagon with a 2.5 100K nice cond. with head gasket and other issues (not sure what those other engine issues are yet). Will this motor fit? both are automatics

thanks (and yes this 96 has a 2.2 original)

yep, it'll work.

the only possible hang ups are if one doesn't have EGR (most likely they both should, but Subaru was a bit random so there's no way to verify without looking at it).

the only other minor issue is the charcoal canister lines. some had it in the engine bay, some did not. i think that throws a code or two depending how you mix-n-match those.

i currently drive a car that has both of these "hang ups", the check engine light is on but i don't care and the car drives perfectly fine.

No PS line bracket - but it doesn't matter.

GG covered the tough stuff.

Allow a little time for possible vacuum and breather hose work. Thats usually the tough part.

And use the flexplate/flywheel from the 2.5.

You will probably need the Ypipe from the 96.

Are you sure the 98 with the 2.5 motor has head gasket issues? There are plenty of 2.5s still running around with their original HGs. I own two of them.

If the 96 is still in good shape, it would be a shame to take its motor and put it into the 98.

I have never seen it discussed, but when a 2.5 first gen motor goes bad from the years 97 through 2000, does it make sense to replace it with a second gen 2.5 motor from a later model Subie? Seems like a later model motor could be had with a lot less miles on the motor than a 2.2 made in roughly the mid 90's. Any dialogue would be appreciated.

Price.

The later 2.5's seem to have different HG issues (external leaking). So you end up doing HG's on the new engine anyways.

Would need intakes swapped for the electronics.

I'd expect others as well. But the above issues are enough for me.

yep, it'll work.

the only possible hang ups are if one doesn't have EGR (most likely they both should, but Subaru was a bit random so there's no way to verify without looking at it).

the only other minor issue is the charcoal canister lines. some had it in the engine bay, some did not. i think that throws a code or two depending how you mix-n-match those.

i currently drive a car that has both of these "hang ups", the check engine light is on but i don't care and the car drives perfectly fine.

thanks GG...my problem is that in lower NY you cannot get the car to pass inspection with the cel light on...

I started to have the same issues (that would have caused a CEL) with my last swap. In the end I was unwilling to use the 97 2.2 due to other reasons. But I wasn't looking forward to the challenge of figuring out what to do with the EVAP system.

I did start a thread here about it a few weeks ago.

First thing I'd do is look to see if either car had the charcoal canister up by the ABS unit just behind the radiator on the passenger side and the hoses running to it. If they are the same you're in pretty good shape.

How hard would it be to pull the heads FIRST and see what's up there?

100k is nothing for the cylinders and bottom end.

That OB should be cheap.

I never thought I would ever do it...but I own my neices 96 legacy which has a 2.2 with 165k. I have a chance to buy a 98 OB wagon with a 2.5 100K nice cond. with head gasket and other issues (not sure what those other engine issues are yet). Will this motor fit? both are automatics

thanks (and yes this 96 has a 2.2 original)

I highly doubt they will be the same however it will work out fine.

IIRC You will just wind up ignoring the pipe under the manifold on the 96 engine that goes from the tank line (near fuel filter) to the canister in the front. Instead you hook the tank line right to the purge solenoid using some new hose.

Schematically and functionally it will be the the same as the under hood label. Thats the important part. If done right no cel.