Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hey guys, it's been awhile since I have posted here. I sold my 1998 OBS and I own a 1999 Honda CRV. I am looking at buying a 1996 Outback 2.2 L 5 spd.

Is there anything I should lookout for? I know the 2.2 is supposed to be better than the 2.5 for reliability. Can anyone look up this VIN in carfax? 4s3bg4853t6374129 .

I have a Pioneer touchscreen GPS nav unit in my Honda, is it possible to put the Double sized head unit in the outback? Thanks for taking the time to help me out. I hope to be a Subaru owner again soon!

wow...an outback with an EJ22...good find....How many miles are on the car?...Personally I would check for things like torque bind (yes this does happen to the manual trans too)(do a search here youll find tons), recent maintaince, and pretty much do an inspection of the car...lights,boots,brakes,tires,suspension,exhaust etc..

im sure others will chime in....good luck

see if you can learn when the timing belt, water pump, and pulleys were last replaced. The 96 with the 2.2 motor is a non interference motor, which is good, but still you don't want to be driving it, and have the timing belt break on you.

If you buy it, prolly good to replace the spark plugs, and maybe the plug wires. Replacing the spark plugs is much easier on the 2.2 vs the 2.5.

The clutch was replaced in 2006. At the 150,000 mile service the timing belt was checked and found that it didn't need replacing. Car now has almost 170,000 miles.

Issues mentioned by seller include:

right front axle boot torn

rear struts weak

minor to medium oil leak at left cam real - replace with next timing belt

Check engine light comes on and off due to "engine code for throttle position sensor

The seller claims to have a stack of service records and has owned the car for 10 years.

sounds like hes really upfront...thats good...If I where you I would bring a scanner with me..just to make sure he isnt lying about the CEL code ...otherwise the things you mentioned are pretty easy to replace on the 2.2...How much is he asking?

The clutch was replaced in 2006. At the 150,000 mile service the timing belt was checked and found that it didn't need replacing. Car now has almost 170,000 miles.

Hmm,.......so is he saying that the timing belt has never been changed? If he has 10 years of reciepts, and there isn't one for a timing belt, then it NEEDS to be changed. They are supposed to be changed every 60k on that motor, every 100k at the bare minimum (it's the spec for cali models) So it is almost 3 times overdue for a belt.

Issues mentioned by seller include:

right front axle boot torn

rear struts weak

minor to medium oil leak at left cam real - replace with next timing belt

Check engine light comes on and off due to "engine code for throttle position sensor

The seller claims to have a stack of service records and has owned the car for 10 years.

All these issues are realatively minor, although a CEL coming on and off, espescially for a throttle sensor error should be addressed right away. You could end up running lean, stalling out, or having no power, etc......

Or it could be a corroded connector too. HAve the codes read, and the TPS tested and adjusted if that is indeed the code.

Thanks for the replies.

I'll have to go through the service records when I see the car and check when the timing belt was done last. I'd be surprised if he hasn't done it in the last 10 years, he said he just does what his mechanic tells him needs to be done. I plan on taking it in to a local Subaru dealer and have them check it out.

He is asking $3,900, which I think is pretty high for the year and mileage. I want to get him down to $3,000 at the most. Does that seem like a fair deal? The body and interior look to be in great shape from the pictures. I am going to look at it in about 2 weeks.

Wow...$3000...Personally I think thats kind of high....especially for a car with like 170k miles plus the work it needs done....as said it might sound like a good price for your region though...I just know I prob. wouldnt pay $3000...Im frugal...:)

Date:Mileage:Source:Comments:01/01/1996 Don Hattan Chevrolet Inc.

Wichita, KS

316-744-1275

www.donhattan.com Vehicle sold 01/15/1996 Kansas

Motor Vehicle Dept.

Wichita, KS Registered as

personal vehicle 02/16/1996 103 Kansas

Motor Vehicle Dept.

Wichita, KS

Title #F0272283 Title issued or updated

First owner reported

Loan or lien reported 05/28/1998 31,015 Don Hattan Chevrolet Inc.

Wichita, KS

316-744-1275

www.donhattan.com Oil and filter changed chassis lubricated 12/10/1998 36,919 Don Hattan Chevrolet Inc.

Wichita, KS

316-744-1275

www.donhattan.com Oil and filter changed chassis lubricated

Fluid levels checked 06/08/1999 41,262 Dealer Inventory

Wichita, KS Vehicle offered for sale 09/15/1999 Dealer Inventory

Wichita, KS Vehicle offered for sale clear.gifrolodex_top.gif

owner2.gif Purchased:2000Type:Personal Where:Kansas, Washington Est. miles/year:18,980/yrEst. length owned:1/6/00 - present

(9 yrs. 3 mo.) rolodex_bot.gif

buttress.gifDate:Mileage:Source:Comments:01/06/2000 41,403 Kansas

Motor Vehicle Dept.

Title #K0375140 Title issued or updated

New owner reported 09/28/2001 87,000 Washington

Motor Vehicle Dept.

Seattle, WA

Title #0127116901 Title or registration issued 09/23/2003 123,396 Washington

Inspection Station

Seattle, WA Passed emissions inspection 09/23/2003 Washington

Motor Vehicle Dept.

Seattle, WA Registration updated when owner moved

the vehicle to a new location 09/20/2004 Washington

Motor Vehicle Dept.

Seattle, WA

Title #0127116901 Registration issued or renewed

Registration updated when owner moved

the vehicle to a new location

Vehicle color noted as White 03/26/2005 Washington

Police Report

Case #1700904 Accident reported

in King County

Vehicle involved in crash

with another motor vehicle 09/16/2005 150,608 Washington

Inspection Station

Seattle, WA Passed emissions inspection 09/19/2005 Washington

Motor Vehicle Dept.

Seattle, WA

Vehicle color noted as White 08/24/2006 Washington

Motor Vehicle Dept.

Seattle, WA

Vehicle color noted as White 09/07/2007 Washington

Inspection Station

Seattle, WA Passed emissions inspection 09/07/2007 Washington

Motor Vehicle Dept.

Seattle, WA

Vehicle color noted as White 09/09/2008 Washington

Motor Vehicle Dept.

Seattle, WA

Vehicle color noted as White 04/10/2009 Subaru of America No recalls open for repair

• 3 weeks later...