Ultimate Subaru Message Board

OK, i know i haven't been on the board in a while...sorry, it's been a crazy year...

Was there any chatter while I was gone about the 3.6l going into the 2010 legacy, let alone a CVT????

If this is :horse: than just tell me to get with it..

http://www.subaru.com/vehicles/legacy2010.html

Edited by LosDiosDeVerde86
typo

Not that I like the body style at all, I loved MY78 and MY82. They didn't look like anything else out there. But MY85 looked just like a wagon Nisson had at the time, so back then I though Subaru went mainstream on me. And MY90 Legacy wagon was even MORE mainstream. Bearing that in mind, when the new Forester came out, I thought the same, HOW MAIN STREAM. But the 09 Forester continues to beat all previous sales records bringing in more and more first time Subaru owners in a time when car sales are worse than ever. Tells you what I know ( LOL ).

Now to the CVT, Gheeze, I hope that belt lasts longer and is more durable than the one the Justy used. The Justy CVT belt was trash. On top of that, it also looks like they use the LSD center differential right out of the 5 speed MT. Guess we have to wait and see.

Well, it is not a bad looking car. It just doesn't bring forth any previous styling cues from previous modes, that this is a Subaru. It has generic Asian car styling that represent a car made by Nissan, Toyota, or Hyundai.

I am not troubled by the lack of window frames that has been a Subie claim to frame. Frameless glass just seems to promote wind/air leaks, with no positive upside.

The drive train video shows a four cylinder, not a six cylinder, so I would be surprised if the 3.6 Litre is available on the 2010 model.

Still, overall a nice looking sedan both in and out. I am curious what an Outback model will look like.

Well, it is not a bad looking car. It just doesn't bring forth any previous styling cues from previous modes, that this is a Subaru. It has generic Asian car styling that represent a car made by Nissan, Toyota, or Hyundai.

I am not troubled by the lack of window frames that has been a Subie claim to frame. Frameless glass just seems to promote wind/air leaks, with no positive upside.

The drive train video shows a four cylinder, not a six cylinder, so I would be surprised if the 3.6 Litre is available on the 2010 model.

Still, overall a nice looking sedan both in and out. I am curious what an Outback model will look like.

I'm with you. I don't think it's really that bad looking. Yeah, a bit more generic, but I still see Subaru in there. I have to wonder what Subaru would have to come up with to keep everybody happy because the only thing anybody is ever happy with is what has already been. New models are always too different. :rolleyes:

3.6 is an option on the 2010.

Wonder no more about the Outback:

http://jalopnik.com/5205240/2010-subaru-outback-the-butch-is-back

Yea, just saw the 2010 OB on Autoblog yesterday. http://www.autoblog.com/2009/04/09/new-york-2010-subaru-outback-has-its-muklucks-on/

I'm trying to get into NYC to see in person, hopefully will either go tomorrow or next Sat.

I like the wagon backside much better than the legacy sedan trunk. But it'll take a bit for the front end/grille to grow on me. Looks much bigger than the outgoing model, even though it's only 2 inches wider.

I'm sure I'll smack myself in the head a couple times if I ever pick one up with framed doors... hehe.

Finally a 6 speed though!!

ya your probably right nipper. Although I know the forester has a light that comes on. When the engine is cool it is blue, then I guess it turns off when at a good operating temperature, and goes red when it is overheating.

To those that dont like framed door windows:

So you dont like frameless windows.

But you dont like wind noise.

And you like to shut your door using the glass and screw up the gussets and want them covered under warranty?

Did you know that gusset alone is over 100 dollars?!?!

Oh you dont want a CVT?

Well get a manual trans!

God forbid that us lazy americans should have to shift a car like the rest of the world seems content with.

Oh and the CVT is part of Subarus answer to try to combat the USA requirements for gas mileage and emissions standards.

The same country that lets the big three build V8 monsters for years and guzzle up all the cheap gas and leave the problem for future generations to solve.

Like our 4 cyl cars were ever even close to as smoggy as a Hummer H2 or other land yacht.

And who opened the I think its ugly can of worms again?

Every new model that comes out this happens.

Its a Subaru. Pretty would be nice but thats not the point. Its the features, its the versitility, and its the quality that counts. If you want pretty get a BMW.

We thought the 02 WRX was ugly when it came out.

We thought the new Forester was ugly last year.

We thought the SVX was ugly.

We thought the 08 WRX was ugly.

And we still let them grow on us and buy them.

So what if we have idiot lights for temp now. We whined about oil lights doing the same thing a generation ago. Big deal. Its not like that needle really tells you what temp it is anyway. Its saying, well, im cold, well im normal, and well im hot. The light does the same darn thing. Wow.

We still dont change our oil, coolant or air filters as a general public.

We still cant crack an owners manual and READ IT.

We still think that warranty should cover stuff when its our fault.

Some things will never change but at least things are improving. That CVT might be a "POS" but if it improves mileage by 5MPG it pays for itself in a very short time. Sock away the money and have the trans rebuilt or replaced. If it doesnt fail, heres a little gift...its called a savings account. Most americans dont have one.

End rant.

i like frameless windows.

Europe is starting to buy more Automatics every year as their traffic gets worse. Sorry but living someplace with heavy traffic anyplace in the world makes an automatic a requirement. Not all of us are lazy some of us just cant dirve a stick anymore due to physical issues.

Germany has just as many big guzzlers as the us (look under the hood of a Mercedes lately or jag?

For the mosyt part american V-8s do not do badly compared to some of thier european counterparts. Also We have a much differnent country with much farther distances then any given country in europe.

Some of the scleanest cars running today are much bigger engines then subarus.

The lack of a temp gauge is actually important. It disapeared once and it came back, and will come back again.

Rants are just useless and not very constructive, especially when you make the argument that we are lazy then knock us for because we want a freaking temp gauge. It has nothing to do with weather we are warm or not, but what the engine is doing and can we head off a major engine failure before it happens. There is precident for this in subarus and any other number of cars with a shady HG issue in its past.

End counter rant.

nipper

To those that dont like framed door windows:

So you dont like frameless windows.

But you dont like wind noise.

And you like to shut your door using the glass and screw up the gussets and want them covered under warranty?

Did you know that gusset alone is over 100 dollars?!?!

Oh you dont want a CVT?

Well get a manual trans!

God forbid that us lazy americans should have to shift a car like the rest of the world seems content with.

Oh and the CVT is part of Subarus answer to try to combat the USA requirements for gas mileage and emissions standards.

The same country that lets the big three build V8 monsters for years and guzzle up all the cheap gas and leave the problem for future generations to solve.

Like our 4 cyl cars were ever even close to as smoggy as a Hummer H2 or other land yacht.

And who opened the I think its ugly can of worms again?

Every new model that comes out this happens.

Its a Subaru. Pretty would be nice but thats not the point. Its the features, its the versitility, and its the quality that counts. If you want pretty get a BMW.

We thought the 02 WRX was ugly when it came out.

We thought the new Forester was ugly last year.

We thought the SVX was ugly.

We thought the 08 WRX was ugly.

And we still let them grow on us and buy them.

So what if we have idiot lights for temp now. We whined about oil lights doing the same thing a generation ago. Big deal. Its not like that needle really tells you what temp it is anyway. Its saying, well, im cold, well im normal, and well im hot. The light does the same darn thing. Wow.

We still dont change our oil, coolant or air filters as a general public.

We still cant crack an owners manual and READ IT.

We still think that warranty should cover stuff when its our fault.

Some things will never change but at least things are improving. That CVT might be a "POS" but if it improves mileage by 5MPG it pays for itself in a very short time. Sock away the money and have the trans rebuilt or replaced. If it doesnt fail, heres a little gift...its called a savings account. Most americans dont have one.

End rant.

Yay! You said what I didn't have the nerve to say!

I'm quoting the whole thing, for just a couple of posts down, because I think people should read it.

Everything changes for a reason. Heaven forbid improvements, evidently. It doesn't mean the end of Subaru, just an evolution of what Subaru makes. Would anybody really be happy with their cars if Subaru stuck with the "Cheap, and made to stay that way" campaign? No, we'd all buy something else with more safety features and more creature comforts.