Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Where is this coolant leak coming from? (91 Legacy)

My 91 Legacy has sprung a colant leak. Before the leak, there were strange scraping noises coming from the engine. I'm wondering if anyone can tell from the picture where the leak is coming from. If this is something serious and will require a lot of time/money to fix, I may just sell this car as is or part it out. Send me a PM if interested.

P1010002.JPG

You're water pump has died and probablly taken you're timing belt with it.

Replacing the Waterpump and the belt and any worn idlers, and installing new seal should be done at the same time.

should be well under $300 to fix if you are mechanically inclined. If you pay a shop I would estimate between $400-700 depending on the place.

Thanks for the response. I'll take the cover off and inspect the condition of the timing belt and attempt to replace the pump.

With all that coolant everywhere, and the fact you heard *grinding* before the leak, you definately need to replacve the timing belt.

It isn't a matter of inspecting it, you can pressume it is hosed.

need to remove the AC tensioner and the crank pulley.

Any thing else, like PS pump and alternator is optional.

I would recomend removing the whole radiator, not just the fans. You will need to drain the sytem anyway to replace pump, and it opens up ALOT more room.

• 2 weeks later...
I can't get the bolt loose for the left camshaft sprocket. Is it lefty loosey righty tighty? The damn thing won't budge and I've pounded on it. Any thoughts?
5 Speed or auto? If it's auto, there's a hole near the top of the trans to stick a screwdriver in to stop the flywheel from moving. With the 5MT, you can just stick the car in gear. Then use very large cheater bar and it should come off easily.

Thanks for the reply. I got it. I just wedged a small wrench though the pulley into the whole for the camshaft sensor. That stopped it from moving. I then used my big socket and stuck the handle through the loop end of a 3/4 inch wrench to get the leverage and hight I needed to force the bolt off.