Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA-81 wiper arms ?s

Over the last few months, I've tried different wiper blades on the '86 BRAT, tried every brand I could find. I still get the "jittery don't clean the water off" sweep on the wipers. So, I'm thinking that the spring in the arm is weak. Especially with the blades wanting to float off the glass at speeds over 50 MPH. Noticed the '85 BRAT does it also.

Has anyone on here tried to swap the arms from a newer vehicle onto thier EA-81 vehicle? Ifso, what vehicle?

Just asking 'cause any arm from an EA-81 would more than likely have a weak spring in it due to age. Or do I just have wierd wipers?

you could probably rig a "bandaid" fix helper for the spring. Could either add a helper bungee strap on the current spring to give additional springyness, or elastic or somehow carefully give a couple coils of the spring a little twist with plyers to tighten it up a bit. remember though if you try to bend, its a fragile spring to begin with and you need to limit how much twist before it will snap and be totally useless.

I have given wiper arm springs a twist before and it helped big time.

The place to put the kink in it is at the end where it is more or less straight, just angle it a little and it will give what is needed.

Take the arm off the car and put the bend in with the spring having no tension on it.

I have the same problem.

Only my wipers don't chatter, they're silicone and they slide nice and easy. :)

I do have issues when there is only a little water to be wiped, but when

there is a decent amount water they work fine.

I found them at wally world.

Yellow and grey packaging if I remember properly with their "triple edge"

technolgy.

And as for the spring, I concur with bheinen74, just rig up a helper for it.

A small bungee cord would probably work just fine.

Twitch